Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my smaller rats really likes to tunnel even though we provide tons of pvc pipes, bedding, etc. I want to make sure that while she is doing so none of the bedding "fragments" or "dust" get into her little nose. Is Carefresh good? Pellet brands just do not look very comfy? Any advice would be great appreciated!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Well, for tunnelling, Carefresh would probably be good, but I would get the Carefresh Ultra, which has much less dust, rather than the plain Carefresh. Pellets of course would not be able to be tunnelled through. Actually, since I wanted to have my boys' housing as dust free as possible, I actually used fleece, blankets and towels for their bedding. They tunneled around in it and it was as dust free as you can get. The downside of course, is doing extra loads of ratty laundry every week, but I didn't mind. I am sure someone else will see your post and give you their opinion as well. I would stay away from wood chip type bedding too. Too many sharp edges and dust.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I use aspen and have for years. It is a hardwood and do not contain the phenols that pine and cedar do (which make those beddings toxic).

You can get shredded aspen that is much softer then the chips. And they can burrow into it.

Carefresh is a good choice too. I personally don't like Carefresh,but it is safe and soft. And easy for them to dig and burrow in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts