Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done all the research on a rabbit and have a list of supplies and know the expenses. we are still considering it. But I was wondering whats a good beginner breed. Dwarfs are adorable but we want something cuddly and that will get along well with a cat preferably. It will have free roam of the house and have a nice big cage or other bunny proofed area for when we arent home. We do plan to rescue but I do want a general direction of what I am looking for. the only real consideration is it needs to fit a normal sized litter box lol. I do want a soft loveable breed pref easy to litter train but I am willing to put the time and energy in. this rabbit wouldnt be until we had our own place ( bunnyproofed) and a steady income so it will never need to find another home

I am in love with Holland lops but dont know if thats the best choice

·
Registered
114 Posts
a lot of bunnies are not going to be the cuddly enjoy being held type that most people think when they purchase bunnies. I have a dwarf lop mix, and he is the sweetest little guy who loves being pet and will lay beside you for hours if you keep petting him :p But he doesnt like being picked up, and he doesnt like sitting in my lap for very long. But he gives kisses etc..

I know someone who has a flemish giant and they say he is very cuddly and doesnt mind being held (as far as rabbits go) and gets a long very well with their cat and 2 dogs

We also have a family friend who has a holland lop and he was a sweetie pie!

Each bunny is going to have a different personality. I got my bunny when he was only 9 1/2 weeks old, but from now on i will always get a rabbit that is atleast a year old because by that point you know what there personality will be. Also most people say spaying // neutering your rabbit calms them down a lot

good luck!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omg I love calico bunnies and we are still deciding I really want like a dog lol. Demanding and " love me" but that's kinda mean for an apartment. I think I need to play with one to decide.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know about the different personalities but I didn't know if it was like most animals where certain breeds have certain dispositions.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i personally loved when i had my english lop stewie :) but there huge bunnys and need a lot place to move around, but every bunny is diffrent, i personally think its all about personality not about breed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mini Rex's have a good reputation for being a good house bunny with good temperaments. And i think holland lops have a non aggressive behaviour but might be a bit more skittish, but the lops are so cute!

But i also like my little mix bun :) i think you should just go on the best bun personality you find!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
My holland lops aren't skittish at all. I have two of them and both are very friendly, as far as rabbits go. They do not enjoy being picked up and cuddled, but they follow me around the apartment and like to hang out with me. Smaller breeds like netherland dwarfs and holland lops, etc, are often times more outgoing than than larger breeds. But they are also more prone to dental issues.

You feel like even keeping a small dog in an apartment is mean? I have a small (toy breed) dog and I live in an apartment and he seems very happy to me. Of course he gets lots of attention and walks and trips to the park and stuff like that, but I really don't think he cares that we live in an apartment.

I'm just asking because if you really want a dog, then a rabbit isn't going to be a good replacement for a dog. I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't want you to get a rabbit and later on be disappointed because all along you really wanted a dog. Dogs and rabbits are very different animals.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
If you want a cuddly breed don't get any rabbit. Adult rabbits pretty much hate being held (although there are some exceptions for individuals) and rabbits tend to be very independent and want things very much on their own terms.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cuddly on its own terms is to be expected. I really like the holland lop too cute. But how similar are the costs to own a dog compared to the cost to own a rabbit? A small dog. 20 lbs max. Seems to me like the costs would be pretty similar.

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
I have a Mini Rex (Speckle) and a dwarf Hotot (Simon), Speckle is extremely hyper, she likes to be petted but not picked up, although if i put her in my lap and massage her she gets very comfy. Simon tolerates being held and he's a very calm bunny, but I also think males are calmer than females, I think it depends on each bunny, rabbits are more like cats in a sense that they like being petted but also want their independence. Speckle follows me around and she's super smart, but she's also sassy. They're all very different.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I say cuddly I mean lay with you, play with you , wanting attention.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I think what you're looking for in a rabbit might be hard to get. I mean, sure there are individual bunnies that are like dogs (my mini rex) but you really can never be sure. Bunnies are particular. My bunny's idea of "on her own terms" is coming to me when I shake treats. Other than that she prefers to be alone most of the time. I wanted a cuddly bunny too :( Oh well. I love her anyway and will never give her up bc of her reservedness.
A small dog, after factoring in toys-vet-food-leashes-etc. .. might amount to the same as the materials for a bunny pen-cable ties-PVC tubing-hay-litter-food etc. . but they are totally diferent animals and it should not be the cost you are looking at.

If you want a small dog more than spending 10 years with a rabbit then maybe you could foster a small dog and see how it fits your apartment lifestlye. And maybe you can foster a rabbit to see how you like that too. I think fostering would guarantee give you an idea of what you're looking for without any immediate commitments. Like Dragon said, Kit lives happily in an apartment. As long as their needs are looked after you can't imagine how happy they are just to fit in and sit on the couch!! lol

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a small dog at moms so I know what I'd be getting into. The fostering is a really good idea. And cost is an issue when its the only thing stopping me from getting a dog. I like BIG dogs but in an apartment I can't. The smallest I like is medium. I wish I had a friend with a rabbit ... I think I'm going to be doing a lot more research before I bring anything home. And its reasonable to look at costs

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
If cost is an issue for getting a dog, it should be an issue for getting a rabbit. Between their very specific diet and vet bills that can be astronomical, I've spent just as much, if not more, on bunnies than on our dog and cat.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry said that wrong. Of course you have to factor in costs what's holding me back from a dog is space and a yard. Lol sorry my mind gets all mixed up. I'll make sure I have the money for whatever I get I know the costs are similar. I'll see what I do I have time

·
Registered
75 Posts
All bunnies have different personalities. I read in a book that the larger breeds are usually more cuddly and calm, while the smaller breeds are more energetic.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
In general, breed doesn't affect their personality (Other than larger rabbits being calmer and smaller rabbits being more hyper, generally).

Just keep in mind that dwarf breeds will be more prone to teeth problems because of the shape of their head, and lops will be more prone to ear infections. Females are more expensive to have fixed than males too.

Personally, I think Dutch are awesome bunnies, but I might be a little biased. ;) Smudge hates being held, but he loves to come up to me and jump into my lap for treats and petting. He will lay down near me if I'm studying on the floor or something, but that's about as cuddly as it gets LOL. Bunnies just like doing things on their own terms. I don't mind though, I don't think I would want to cuddle him anyways... I'd be engulfed in shed bunny fur beyond recognition in a matter of minutes. If you want a small cuddly pet that will fall asleep with you, get a bearded dragon! :D

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never had a reptile and I dont really wanna risk it with the lighting so no thanks. Maybe I should just swear off pets for a while.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm not sure why you would want to swear off pets?

BTW, if you ever did want a reptile, lighting isn't too difficult once you know what to get. ;) Finding reliable sources for research can be the tricky part though.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to focus on my current pets and get some things together, then I will see about adding anyone to the family

1 - 20 of 46 Posts