Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some crickets for Mr. Squishy last week and I dont know what they eat. Ive been feeding them potatos but I have a feeling theyre gonna croak on me soon! :p What should I feed them?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
From: Brown Cricket Care Guide and Information Sheet - WNYHS

Feeding: A food bowl should be in the enclosure at all times. Crickets are omnivorous. Commercial diets exist as well as several home brew recipes. They can be fed a variety of fresh vegetables, chicken mash, grains, cat food, and meats. Vitamins and calcium should be added to the food bowls. Crickets fed a good diet will be more nutritious for the animal they are being fed to. Crickets need a constant source of water. This can be challenging as crickets can drown in small amount of standing water. Several choices exist and all work equally well. These include a damp sponge, paper towels, cotton balls, or fresh fruits. A commercial watering device is also available. The water should be dechlorinated before offering to the crickets.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
You can feed them:
-some fish food
-small pieces of veggies (carrots,potato) ~this will also provide them with water.

just remember to take food out when/before it starts to rot and get moldy

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hey, glad you asked! I found something at the pet store that is awesome and I think it smells good too. You keep it in the refrigerator and it isn't gross either. It goes a long way and I don't think it cost me more than $5.00 or so. It is by Nature Zone and it is called, Total Bites for Feeder Insects. Feed-Water-Gutload in 1 Easy Step! All-In-One Diet with Spirulina Vitamins & Minerals 10 oz. (285 gm) Directions: Sprinkle a small amount in a shallow dish. Recommended for: Crickets, Mealworms, Hissing Cocroaches, Tarantulas, and other insects and arachnids. On the back of the box it says: Feed - Water - Gutload, in one easy step Complete Gutload, Over 50 amino acids (proteins) vitamins & minerals, Isolated Proteins & Carbohydrates, easily digestible by both insects & herps, Soft moist Gel, no water necessary, Balanced nutrition, promotes natural growth in herps, Firm Gel will not trap small insects, "Bite" sized pieces ready to eat, no slicing or dicing required just add to feed dish, Water/solids ratio - same as most leafy vegetables, dandelions, collard greens, etc. I have found these to be excellent. The crickets love them and I think they smell good. Alot easier than trying to keep a potato going. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Oh yea, one more thing, I haven't had the problem with it getting old and moldy, it just smells good. Imagine that, something that actually smells good in a cage and the crickets really like it! Hee Hee. :snowwave:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got some crickets for Mr. Squishy last week

What should I feed them?

They NEED to eat gut-loaded bites or cricket chow to enable them to be healthy for the animal you are feeding them to....... the potato is just acting as their water / moisture.

I give my crickets Cricket Chow from Fluckers and I get the Gel form for Water for them.

I also give my crickets a slice of sweet potato and apple once a week.

Cricket Chow

Cricket Quencher - 7120

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I feed my own crickets rabbit pellets, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, dog food, fish food, cereal...pretty much anything we have around. If they only get a few things then I'll give pellets, carrots, and dog food.

I've been feeding the same kind of diet for years and haven't had any issues :).

These aren't a staple, right? In that case you don't have to worry as much anyways.

·
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter
1,165 Posts
We always fed romaine lettuce and oranges where I used to work - we tried the gutload that came in the little orange cubes, and they all but ignored it. Once in a while we'd give them apple and potato.

I watched an episode of Dirty Jobs where he was at an Insect place, and they fed their feeder crickets just oranges.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! Thanks you guys! Mr. Squishy sends froggy hugs! :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread a bit...
So Mr. Squishy finds the crickets easily? (I assume they just float on top of the water...or do they sink?)

My frog is either a bit slow, or lazy, lol. I've wondered if she'd go for crickets. Seems with all her food it has to be moving right in front of her face in order for her to go after it, so I was curious.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He needs some help. XD I float them on top and if he cant find them I use the syringe I usually feed him blood worms with and shoot them down twards him! Its prodably lke some messed up theme park ride for the poor cricket. :p

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I buy crickets for my geckos...I wonder if my froggies would like them! I never even thought of it! There are always at least 2-3 small crickets that my geckos don't bother with,I could always try those!

Anyway with my crickets,I am like Stephanie! I always fed them all kinds of veggies,fruits,bread,fish food...whatever is around,as well as store bought cricket food.

I say fed because I have not been able to get crickets for them in a long time,like weeks! The geckos are living off of superworms and mealies at the moment.Crickets are always (or almost always) sold out when I go to the stores and lately the Newfoundland shipment of crickets are coming in dead apparently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts