Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if it's not one thing with this dog, it's another, and it's my own fault for saying he was doing better :(

Tonight the dogs were playing and Tucker tried to take Milo's toy. Milo gave him a little nip, nothing hurtful or remotely bad, just a little putting him in his place. Tucker gave Milo his space and went underneath the dining room table where he likes to lay. A few minutes later Tucker started howling super loud and non-stop. My husband picked him up. He would not open his eyes and his tongue was sticking out. His body was limp except for his front paws, which were stuck straight out. This went on for about 3 minutes and then stopped. All the while we were trying to find any kind of injury or identify the source of distress, but there were none. When it was over, he wouldn't open his eyes for a few minutes, but then he did, only it was like he was exhausted and couldn't keep them open. He did eat two of his little treats and went pee, but otherwise he has been hard asleep. Does this sound like a seizure?? What would cause him to have a seizure out of the clear blue sky?? Could Milo have scared him?? Could he be traumatized from taking a trip to Petsmart tonight (even though he did not act afraid at all there)? I'm so confused. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but wondered if any of you had any experience with something like this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
what a seizure look like

hi my three dogs my 5..lb pom has seixures and what she does is she will cry out and then she will begin to shake and her body will go stiff she will drool and hold her head to the side.she also can't stand up she falls over onto her side or rolls under a chair or bed.i hope this helps you and i hope tucker is ok

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Wow, that's scary, I hope he's ok. Did he get any vaccines recently? Heartworm preventative? Flea/tick stuff?

Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I had a dog before that cried out and shook a little but he was having nightmeres maybe he was so tired he had a nightmere or night terror dream.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, he had vaccines a couple of weeks ago and is due again this coming Friday. He was definitely not asleep. He was walking around LOL We are going to ask the vet about it on Friday. It was so scary. He has been fine since then. We had actually had the kids go to my mom's (she lives next door) and we were getting ready to take him to the emergency vet, but he stopped and seemed fine other than being extremely tired. We really do think it was some kind of seizure because he definitely was not seeing or hearing us during that time even though my husband was holding him and his tongue was sticking way out, it was just weird. He's ok now though so that's good! It's like nothing ever happened.

Question, do you think that dogs can remember or react to trauma they had at 2-3 days old? Tucker seems very skittish around other dogs (other than ours, strangely, he loves ours) and when we were at Petsmart last night he was freaked a few times and then the whole thing with Milo seemed to send him over the edge. He has never shown any kind of fear or stress before, but I suppose it's possible.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh jeez! That's scary! Coco had a couple seizures before and they only lasted 10 seconds or so, in which he was unable to make any noise. The vet called them off as they were not serious and haven't happened since. I hope little Tucker is okay. He's afraid of the store sudenly and other dogs? Maybe he needs more time at dog parks or outside in high people traffic areas, he'll get a lot of attention bc he's so cute!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It does sound like a seizure but I'm not sure. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

As for being skittish around other dogs, he just needs more socialization. This is actually an extremely important time in a puppy's life, he needs to be meeting TONS of different dogs and people. I wouldn't suggest a dog park because it's too easy to have a negative interaction there. But take him everywhere you can so he gets used to other dogs :).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys! He's been fine ever since, so not exactly sure what the scoop was. Still going to mention it to the vet on Friday, but hopefully it was an isolated incident.

Also, we kind of figured out that it wasn't the other dogs he was skittish around, it was the floor at Petsmart LOL He has never been on that kind of floor and he is still getting used to the leash (lets be honest, he hates it right now!). He was extremely apprehensive about walking around. We initially chalked it up to the fact that there were other dogs present, but he has never had any apprehension around our dogs, or the dogs that we encounter in the neighborhood.

Edited to add: Last night was his first night in his big boy crate next to Milo. He slept great from 11pm-5:30am. My husband took him out to potty and put him back in. He woke up at 6:30 whining for his breakfast, but I made him wait it out until 6:45am. This is the time we get up on week days and we want him to start waiting until then to get up. After he ate his breakfast he went back to sleep until 8am. This is the schedule he has been on now for a couple of weeks. It's funny too because if we wait and feed him later (the dogs usually get dinner at 6pm but if we are out or running late, they eat later) he still wants his breakfast at 6:30am on the dot! Little bugger!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
That sounds alarming and scary. We never had experience of dogs with seizure but one we fostered before been on medication on his seizure history..

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
From my experience its all stiffness. My last aussie even had one while standing up. Sometimes no shaking but my mom's tzu did moan a little bit.

Very scary.

But another thing is I'd hold off on shots till he is well. You shouldn't shoot a sick dog whether you're for vaccinations or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts