Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know I currently have a very cage aggressive male russian campbells. I know he will never be able to have a cage mate.
But it has started me thinking are there some dwarfs that do better with being housed together than others? If I ever try ( which I am very interested in doing someday) They would have a multi cage set up which I know can complicate things. It would consist of 5 cages 4 wheels 2 food bowls 4 hideaways and lots of dwarf size toys and such basically all the supplies I have in one large set up. I wont be doing this until ANY time soon. Just given the situation what species would do best? I am considering WW, RC, and robos

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Robos seem less likely to fight IMO but it can still happen.

Why not consider a more social rodent? A group of female mice or some gerbils, maybe?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a separate cage planned for mice :) its just I have LOTS of hamster supplies and would love to have the experience with a pair of hamsters :) I have mentioned several other times on this forum that I do have cage plans for mice. I just need fleece and all my supplies can easily be split

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I love having pairs! Especially littermate females.. Not sure on the differences in temperament between the breeds though.. the winter whites I have been getting have really sweet temperament, but that could just be that family or whatever.
I would not recommend putting two non-littermates together.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Non litter mates can be done if raised together. I have lots of hamster experience just not pairs.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not true at all but ok. Anyway decided on that cage for another use down the road

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I've noticed that you really don't accept anyone's advice on here but you're own. I'm done trying.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I was simply stated that that wasnt true I follow many peoples advice on here.

Sibling hamsters in the right circumstances with the right personalities would work. One sentence saying no it wont work is hardly an answer.

when I said the non litter mates I meant if they are raised from little babies together. Siblings by far works the best though. I'd never try non siblings though

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant species of hamsters

1 - 11 of 11 Posts