Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please say what it is)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone thinks. Where I live Carefresh seems to be the most reccomended bedding for my hamster, so its what I use. But there is a downfall, the price. About twice the cost of regular wood chip bedding the same size. Though I bought it because my hamster cage is in my room, and it is supposed to be number 1 in odor control, non-alergenic etc. But what do you guys think, as probably because of the price will be looking for the best alternative to carefresh, eventually.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
You can use anything that is paper based or made of aspen. :) You want to stay away from pine and cedar. Personally, I use aspen shavings... Carefresh is too pricey for me! I also use kiln-dried pine pellets. These are safe, because the process of kiln-drying removes the dangerous phenols. Its pretty much the same as Feline Pine cat litter, and IMO it controls oders really well. I get a 40lb bag for $5 at FleetFarm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use anything that is paper based or made of aspen. :) You want to stay away from pine and cedar. Personally, I use aspen shavings... Carefresh is too pricey for me! I also use kiln-dried pine pellets. These are safe, because the process of kiln-drying removes the dangerous phenols. Its pretty much the same as Feline Pine cat litter, and IMO it controls oders really well. I get a 40lb bag for $5 at FleetFarm.
kiln-dried pine pellets seem good but we dont have a fleetfarm. Is fleetfarm kinda like a hardware store? If so I coulld try looking at my local home depot for it?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Its a farm supply store. :) Any where that has horse supplies will have it, as its commonly used as horse bedding too. You can also get it at a regular pet store, but it will be a little more expensive (Feline Pine is the same thing). I dont use it alone as bedding though- I put some in the corners of my piggers cage, and I put aspen shavings over it. The pine controls orders ALOT better than plain aspen does! I use it as a litter for my bunnys litterbox too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i use Carefresh but i buy it online or at Costco, its sooo much cheaper that way and i get more bang for my buck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts