Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is what i think yall need to know
1. it is a male betta
2. HE lives in a Quart tank.
3. i change his water eery two days
4. i am bout to change him to a gallon tank
5. he eats Top fin Betta Bits(mini floating pelltas with clor enhancer)
6. his water conditioner is complete betta
hope this is enough..... :hyper1:

·
Registered
269 Posts
is he sick???
That's wonderful that you are moving him to a 1g.Bettas should have at least a gallon IMO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's wrong with the little guy? What are his symptoms?
well right now he isnt eatin (mabey cuz he dosnt like his food) umm dosnt swim his turing a little gray....:)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, in such a small tank you should be changing the water every day to keep ammonia down. So I would start by doing a water change but rather then a full one do a partial one so as not to stress him out. How old is he? How long have you had him?

Moving him to a bigger tank should help though you'll want to carefully acclimate him so he doesn't freak out.

Good luck :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i donno how old he is but i have had him for like a month...:)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Oh, ok, then he's probably not too old.

I would bring in a sample of your tank water to be tested at a petstore...most stores do it for free. My guess is that there is ammonia building up because of the small volume of water but there may be other issues too which is why you should have the water tested. Man, that was a total run-on sentence :lol:.

Oh, and what's the temperature of the tank? Since bettas are tropical fish they need warmer temperatures. Bettas kept too cold often won't eat or swim much and they can get paler. So that could be an issue too. If you don't have a thermometer for the aquarium then definitely get one...they are really cheap and very helpful :). You may need a small heater if the tank doesn't stay warm enough.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, ok, then he's probably not too old.

I would bring in a sample of your tank water to be tested at a petstore...most stores do it for free. My guess is that there is ammonia building up because of the small volume of water but there may be other issues too which is why you should have the water tested. Man, that was a total run-on sentence :lol:.

Oh, and what's the temperature of the tank? Since bettas are tropical fish they need warmer temperatures. Bettas kept too cold often won't eat or swim much and they can get paler. So that could be an issue too. If you don't have a thermometer for the aquarium then definitely get one...they are really cheap and very helpful :). You may need a small heater if the tank doesn't stay warm enough.
i tried to check the water with a regular see if you have a fever thermometer but it didnt do anything... i will take some water to the petsmart where i got him...how much should i bring?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
i tried to check the water with a regular see if you have a fever thermometer but it didnt do anything... i will take some water to the petsmart where i got him...how much should i bring?
They sell aquarium thermometers there for like $2. Just don't get the sticker kind that go on the outside of the tank...those aren't as accurate.

You don't need very much...a small container will be fine :).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They sell aquarium thermometers there for like $2. Just don't get the sticker kind that go on the outside of the tank...those aren't as accurate.

You don't need very much...a small container will be fine :).
okied okie.. what should the temp be?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
okied okie.. what should the temp be?
Between 76 and 80 degrees or so. I keep my bettas at 78 but you can keep them at cooler temperatures then that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i moved him and he still isnt eating my dad wont buy me a themometer OR new food so i am doing ALL that i can to make him feel better...:wi will post pics later when ui get a chance...:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I give my betta the same food you give yours, he should be eating about 3 pelletts a day.

Also to help with the coloring, try freeze-dried blood worms

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Need Help With My Betta

I came home today and I found that my betta's stomach has turned into this abnormal color. Also, he doesn't swim around as usual and he lost his appetite. Does anyone know what is wrong with him?? I'm really worried!

Attachments

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I came home today and I found that my betta's stomach has turned into this abnormal color. Also, he doesn't swim around as usual and he lost his appetite. Does anyone know what is wrong with him?? I'm really worried!
Could you give some details on his set-up? Aquarium size, temperature, water change schedule, etc. Did you test the water?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aquarium size: 2 gallons
temperature: 73 degrees
water change schedule: 100% once a week & 30% once a week. Also, I use a water conditioner.
feeding: once a day for two minutes & I skip a meal once a week.
I checked the water & the pH levels are fine.

I woke up this morning & his stomach looked better, but when I fed him, he ate a couple pellets & his stomach started to look like the pictures I posted. Is my betta dying??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I would test ammonia and nitrite and do a partial water change (if you haven't already). Can you raise the temperature a bit to see if he perks up? My bettas have always been more active when the temperature is above 75.

What food do you normally feed? It's great that he's still eating but I'd fast him for a day or two to let his digestive system clear.

I'm not sure how he looks normally so the photos don't seem alarming to me. I see a slightly stressed betta that looks like he might have over-eaten (or eaten something difficult to digest). Hopefully that's all this is :). If it's not a food or water quality issue, it could be an infection (but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm still fairly new to fish keeping but I'm pretty sure Betta fish need around 2 gallons (don't quote me on that, I may be wrong). If I am right though, he could be suffering from stress through the lack of swimming space.

In a small tank, ammonia would build up real quick, maybe in a day which would mean your fish could be suffering from ammonia poisoning. You could try doing a 15% water change every day to see if that perks him up.

Bettas are warm water fish I think, too and I think optimum temperature for them is around 78 degrees (far.) which - off the top of my head - is around 25 degrees Celsius.

Make sure, when you do a water change, that you use a product like 'Tapsafe' to get the chlorine and/or chloramine out - if you havent done this before, the chlorine and/or chloramine might be 'burning' or poisoning your fish.

Like I said, I'm still fairly new to this myself but that's just my 2 cents. :)

Hope everything gets resolved!

edit: Sorry, I didn't see that you already had him in a 2 gallon tank!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts