Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Are you talking about veggies or bugs?

For veggies, Dudley gets collard greens, endive, bok choy once in a while, and the occasional red lettuce as a treat (He LOVES anything that is red). I use either some shredded carrot, squash, or some kind of fruit as a "topping" for it.

For buggies, I usually feed superworms and crickets. I'll hopefully be getting some dubia roaches soon!

Here's a list of all the different things you can feed them:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Good choice on the Dubias Jess. They aren't hard to colonize, in fact they are so easy that you need to make sure you have extra secure containment! ...other wise you might be having a discussion with you parents about new roaches being found in the kitchen...

Bob

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
They can't climb or fly though, right? I figured that if I kept them a container in my closet, my mom wouldn't notice too much. :giggle:

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
They can't climb or fly though, right? I figured that if I kept them a container in my closet, my mom wouldn't notice too much. :giggle:
No, they cannot climb smooth surfaces or fly. They are best cultured in a deepish rubbermaid/sterilite storage container with a couple of good vents in the top (perhaps 10" across with mesh screening hot-glued over them). Cleaned weekly, they create no appreciable odour, and aside from some skritching, make no noise. Just keep them well fed and warm, and they will multiply very quickly.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
No, they are reputed to not be very good climbers.

However, I have known people who swear they can teleport.:D

Be as careful with their care as you are with Dudley, and you'll have no problems.

Bob

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm convinced that "flightless" fruit flies can teleport, too :lol:.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Well, I better not tell my mom that they have super powers. :p Maybe I can learn their secrets, LOL... I've always wanted to teleport.

But I've done plenty of research on how to care for them, so hopefully I'll be able to start a small colony. :D

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
That would be B. lateralis and Naupheta cinerea ...both seem capable of passing through solid glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts