Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well we bought a new hammie called chunk theres a thread here with pictures we have had him about 4 days now.
Theres a hugee problem at the start in the petshop when i seen him the guy let me see him and i was touching him and he was fine and he was skiddish but it was expected.. and a day after i let him settle i put my hand in and he was trying to bite it so i left it .. so the following day i spent the whole day talking to him and i lay my hand flat with a treat in the middle and BITE he bit the side of my hand :( so today i put my hand back in and he ATTACKED me for no reason at al i just went to say hello and he RAN at me im very scared at him now because he near took a chunk out of my hand :( ..
so obviously i dunno what to do now i dont wana give him away i love him dearly and wouldnt think no less of him but i am scared of him getting no excerise and becoming bored as i can't lift him to put him any where because he attacks me :( im very scared of him now i just dunno what to do :(:confused: would it be ok just to let him get into a excerise ball when i get one and not handle him at all ?

i need help :(
so thanks if anyone helps me
xx

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
just be patient. let him settle into his new home. dont touch him if he's sleeping. dont try to pick him up, he clearly needs to take it slower. what you can do is just sit there talking to him with the door open. maybe put your hand on the door, let him come sniff you. do that for a while. take it SLOW and you should be fine, theres to reason to return him to the store. pet stores always have too many animals to keep well socialized

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i hope so its just if i even put my hand into the cage he bites for no reason he doesnt run he just attacks :(

if i cannot handle him in a few months is it ok if i just let him go into his ball without me touching him im scared of the little guy LOL

Thanks for replying natalie

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
yeah, this reminds me of when I had my spiny mice. Evil little things! I won't even get into it, it still gets me so frustrated! lol. Call out the dishgloves! You know, those handy little rubber gloves for washing dishes? Those marvelous things, they are your next calling. Don those and you're good to go.

But before you do this, Try washing your hands well, then just touching the open rim of the door, with the tips of your fingers, then put a treat atop your finger. so he sees cage, finger, treat. let me know what he does

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can also sit in a DRY bathtub and let him run around on you. Wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt with the gloves. He probably needs to get used to your smell. If you use glove to put him in a run around ball, also run your hands through his food and bedding. Sometimes it takes a while for hammies to warm up. If you hand feed treats eventually he will come around. Also make sure to wash your hands before you handle him. If you have any food scents on your fingers he may think you're food. Hammies have very bad eyesight...especially during the day. Good luck!

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
Yes, it would be ok if he never did like to be held. you can let him climb in the exercise ball when you need to clean the cage or something.. Take it slow like others have said. but try not to worry too much if he wont let you hold him right away. Sometimes these things take awhile. I used to have a hamster that didn't like to be taken from her cage, but after she was out she didn't mind too much. Keep in mind his cage is his home.. How would you feel if someone took the roof off your house and reached in? might make you a bit nervous. :p

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Oh dear! I had this same problem with my last hamster (RIP) and this is why i will NEVER have a hamster again! My hammy just bit for no reason and she started doing it after 6 months of having her which made no sense. I will stick with my rats now lol i hope you can sort your little guy out tho xx

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot people i will try my very best hes a little cutie !
Carla i was told by alot of people that hamsters can be NASTY and if i didn't want to get bitten don't be geting one but i had to bring him home he has been there for a WHILE the guy said and a few weeks before i seen him there no-one wanted him so i could'nt resist !
Yeah he is biting for no reason at all we have him in a quiet place with no other animals so he isnt scared because he doesn't run away !
i just hope i get him sorted !

thanks people x

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Aww poor little guy! I have only ever had 1 hamster and i have had a few lol that NEVER bit! I got him from a nursery school as they were giving him away because he apparently bit one of the children but i had him for 3 and half years and he NEVER bit me! I even taught him little tricks etc he was a brown syrian absolutely GORGEOUS! He was called Elmo......RIP little guy.
Good Luck with your hammy its a tough habit to break coz i think they are just natural nippers! xxxxx

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i think he is just gonna nip FOREVER LOL.
awww good on you for taking him i CANNOT turn any animal down i love them all big or SMALL.
theres a dog in our local shelter a English Bull Terrier who is a year and a half and noone wants him because he aint a CUTE puppy anymore and we seen him on their website and we mite be considering on taking him home because we have the space money and time and also ive had BIG dogs all my life so we are talking it over :).
what do you think we should do ?
just a little thought :) x

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
My lil hammie Ruby is 2 years old, has a tumor/maybe cancer, and is the frailest tiny little thing, and she still tries her best to attack me! :giggle:

(BTW, Im not taking bad care of her or anything, she is just sick, and theres not really anything we can do about it. :) )

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
well, Im sorry I cant help you in this situation because im not really sure.. This does remind me, like Natalie, about my spiny mouse and the bath tub method really helped! I am never going to have hamsters after mine- ut not because he bite because he has never biten any one before and he loves being held, cuddled, play time, free range time and going to sleep in my lap- so I would be to heartbroken to even think about replacing him with one that bites if you know what I mean.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
I would rescue the dog!!!!

Also with Chunk i would try the whole bath thing but wear gloves and thick clothes lol hammy bites are nasty! My last hammy bit my son's finger so hard i am suprised it didnt fall off lol she had a hold and wouldnt let go!!!!!Norty norty hammies!

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG ouch
well my boyfriend put his hand in calling him going " AINT HE CUTE "
AND CRUNCH!!! his skin was hanging off and the blood was everywhere ROFL i told him now he believes me !

Yeeesss i foned the shelter today and hes still there ( The Dog )
and they said ring back on monday and we will get a appointment made :)
so we are still 50/50 on whither not to .

thanks you guys for all the helps you's are BRILL MWAH x

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
omg that must have been painful!
good luck at the shelter!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts