Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a new petstore today to see what they had to offer and as I passed the cages something caught my eye.....It was a Fennec Fox! He was all by himself and looked very thin and scared. Fennec Foxes need very finely tuned care in order to be healthy and happy ( I think the only place they would be happy is their native home but...) That fox is prolly more then likely going to be adopted by some Joe Shmo who doesnt know anything about them and he will more then likely either kill it, or grow bored with it and then where will it go?

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
People will abuse any species for money. Unfortunately these 'ultra-exotics' make more money than just abusing a bunny rabbit or a guinea pig. :(

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
:mad2:

In my honest opinion,foxes are supposed to be in the wild.The average pet owner is not equipped to handle the care of a fox or other wild animal and thus many are neglected...pisses me off when I hear about these things.

Potbelly pigs are not exotics,but that reminds me of the time a local chain pet store had a potbelly pig in their store.He was kept in a tiny enclosure (one of those glass cages pet stores put rabbits/guinea pigs in).He was nippy too and in the end,the SPCA ended up with him.I don't go to that store anymore,but I heard later that the store got another pig and that one also ended up at the SPCA.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:mad2:

In my honest opinion,foxes are supposed to be in the wild.The average pet owner is not equipped to handle the care of a fox or other wild animal and thus many are neglected...pisses me off when I hear about these things.

Potbelly pigs are not exotics,but that reminds me of the time a local chain pet store had a potbelly pig in their store.He was kept in a tiny enclosure (one of those glass cages pet stores put rabbits/guinea pigs in).He was nippy too and in the end,the SPCA ended up with him.I don't go to that store anymore,but I heard later that the store got another pig and that one also ended up at the SPCA.
I couldn't agree with you more, this new pet store had a number of exotics, such as alligators, poisonous snakes even baby armadillo, and they all looked sick and unhappy, I am seriously considering calling the officials on them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People will abuse any species for money. Unfortunately these 'ultra-exotics' make more money than just abusing a bunny rabbit or a guinea pig. :(
That's all its about to, the money. People will always be out to make a quick buck on animals regardless of the consequences.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would definitely call and see what you can do. Maybe they don't even have the correct lisences. Or maybe they could get them on something else. That is horrible.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I called the EPA or some organization like that on a store that was selling an endangered species.

Please do not be afraid to call and report! The humane society usually ALWAYS follows up on reports.

I find it so sad how much exotics are being sold. Many people don't have the means to care for them. Now there is a new show on Animal Planet about people who buy exotics, just to have them turn on them and almost kill them. Most of those people got the exotics through ads or from pet stores. The show kind of glamorizes having an exotic and doesn't really touch on researching and having the proper facilities. Although the point of the show is to show people how some pets can kill them, it doesn't really mention how exotics CAN be taken care of by the right owner.
Either way that show disturbs me.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the EPA or some organization like that on a store that was selling an endangered species.

Please do not be afraid to call and report! The humane society usually ALWAYS follows up on reports.

I find it so sad how much exotics are being sold. Many people don't have the means to care for them. Now there is a new show on Animal Planet about people who buy exotics, just to have them turn on them and almost kill them. Most of those people got the exotics through ads or from pet stores. The show kind of glamorizes having an exotic and doesn't really touch on researching and having the proper facilities. Although the point of the show is to show people how some pets can kill them, it doesn't really mention how exotics CAN be taken care of by the right owner.
Either way that show disturbs me.
Yes, I have seen that show and I agree it doesn't touch on the subject of the rest of us exotic owners I myself own large snakes and snakes that will eventually be large and when I got them I took on that responsibility that those animals will depend on me till they die but I am also not careless as I know they can and will try to eat me lol. Something my 11 foot reticulated python tries to prove to me every day. But yes 90% of all exotic buys are impulse buys with little to no knowledge of the animals and then the animal is the one to suffer.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Wow, somehow it doesnt surprise me that there is an entire SEASON for a show on people who have exotic pets turn on them... :/ Makes you really depressed about the progression of Human-kind.....
As for the pet store, you did the right thing for reporting them. I hope they have any license revoked immediatley and them animals turned over to a proper sanctuary.

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Correction, an entire season of people who have no idea what they're doing and animals acting perfectly normally. :)

I've actually been standing in a pet store and overheard a conversation with the cashier and a customer as the employee explained what the exotic animal ate, as they were ringing it up. The customer went "Ewww, I'm not feeding it that." but still bought the animal anyway... and the store still happily sold it to her.

The USDA is the agency which licenses pet stores and animal sales in the US. They're the ones to contact for most issues. If they're selling native wildlife or wildlife restricted by the state, contact your state fish & game department. If they're selling animals restricted by city bylaws, contact local animal control. Humane societies have no real legal authority, and often consider the selling of animals at pet stores to be cruelty in itself. It's usually hard for them to have any kind of objective opinion... plus, they don't deal with exotics much at all, so rarely have anyone on staff trained appropriately.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I decided to drive by the pet store today and it was closed and they didnt reopen for the rest of the day so I dunno whats going on there.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
some places have alligators and caimen and things that are illegal to own but legal to sell in stores. Figure that law out.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Well, I decided to drive by the pet store today and it was closed and they didnt reopen for the rest of the day so I dunno whats going on there.
Maybe they are being investigated?
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called the pet store and no one answered, so either they have really crappy customer service or they aren't open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So sad :(

There is a Exotic Pet store by me that has a pair of them. they are really cute. Would be cuter in the wild running free I think but wouldn't every animal be?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ozzy,
Good for you for calling on that store! I hope they closed down for good?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts