Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what one of my dogs may be as far as a breed. She (Belle)is about the size of a JR Terrier, but she has black skin, tongue, mouth, etc... Her fur is brown. She has a docked tail, I got her from the humane society, so I don't know if this is natural or not. In the attached picture she is the little brown dog, the other dog is my American bulldog (Ranger). Different people have said different things, but they just don't seem to add up for one reason or another. She does the gate dash occasionally (as much as I try to prevent it), but when she does get loose, usually doesn't run more than a 1 or 2 block area. She seems to have a definite home "turf".

:confused:

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I forgot to add, she doesn't know she is not a Rottweiler. We keep trying to convince her, but she just won't listen. lol :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I wrote the post, I thought I had it attached. When I got her from the HS 5 years ago, they said she was Min pin mix, well I think she's a bit bigger than min pin and looks nothing like a min pin. This HS also said an obvious German Shepard mix was a lab. They have some really good people identifying dogs there. I will have to see if I can get the picture of her into my avitar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I've...

I've now got the picture I thought I had attached here, on my profile. So, if you can look at my profile, then you should be able to see it. Maybe someone can finally give me a better idea of what she is. She just seems a lot bigger than a Min Pin. I really don't know how to explain what I mean by that though. I don't know if it helps anyone, but when I was explaining her looks, I was trying to say that she doesn't have any pink on her at all. Her nails are black also. (Makes trimming them fun.:banghead:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
could you try reposting the picture? also what area do you live in? Different areas tend to have lots of similar mixes, like right now in Houston Texas we have ALOT of pit bull mixes, lab mixes, and chow mixes (and of course mixes of those!)

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
I looked at the pic but its so tiny i cant see it properly to be able to possibly tell the breed of your dog! Try uploading it through photobucket its free and better for us to see! x

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
The picture is really tiny.
Do you have anymore and bigger ones?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The picture in your profile is teeny, but from what I can see right now she looks like she is Dachshund mixed with something...maybe Dachshund x Jack Russell from the way you explained her...?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got a photobucket account...

I posted some pictures on there of my dogs. The one I'm talking about is the brown one, she is the smallest one I have. I also have a black lab and an american bulldog. Hopefully that can give you an indication of her size. She is a bit bigger than the dashhounds (sp?)I have seen around here. But what accounts for her black skin? That really is what I am curious about as I have heard that not very many breeds have this, and she doesn't have any pink on her at all, not in her mouth or skin at all. Here is the link for the photobucket account:
mystry72/Dogs - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hopefully that will work.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think she definitely has some daschund in her but I really can't tell the rest. Darn! I'm usually really good at the guess my mutt game! She's a stumper! Looks like you've just got your self a basic brown dog. Not a bad thing, BBDs are the ultimate dogs!

·
Registered
381 Posts
She (Belle) is about the size of a JR Terrier, but she has black skin, tongue, mouth, etc... Her fur is brown.

If you are saying she has a black tongue then she probably has either Chow or Chinese Shar-Pei mixed in her...... for these two breeds are are known for their blue-black tongues.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
awww!! whatever she is, Belle is a very pretty doggie :dog:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I am usually good at this too...but I am also stumped at what she could be.

Either way,she is super cute!

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you are saying she has a black tongue then she probably has either Chow or Chinese Shar-Pei mixed in her...... for these two breeds are are known for their blue-black tongues.
That is true, but there are a lot of other breeds who get black tongues, labs for example.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I used to have two black labs and a yellow lab (not at the same time) growing up and none of them had black tongues.Neither do any of the labs I meet! And labs are very common here,since they are originated here and all.

:confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
it's true though, I have encountered many many labs who get black tongues, We once had a client who had a lab puppy, started off with a pink tongue, and now has a nearly all black one (pure bred lab) I'm not saying that this dog has lab, I'm just suggesting that there are other breeds who unexpectedly have black tongues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Color?

But do these breeds also have black skin?? She is completely black. I guess a comparison would be a caucasian person, being an eskie, and her being like an african american person as far as her skin goes. It is completly black/blue. No white/pink on it at all. Her coat is like a labs or other waterdog, almost hard to wash, it seems like it has waterproofing on it, when I give her a bath I almost have to submerge her to get her wet to put the soap on. Just trying to rinse her doesn't get her wet. (She also doesn't like baths either. lol) The coat is not really soft, more of a rough feeling coat.

Her nails grow rather quickly, so I am fairly sure there's a terrier part to her, she does dig, especially when I pull weeds from around the buildings, she likes to make sure the roots are completly gone. lol But, I do have a place in their yard where I don't mind them digging, it is a shaded place and it is where they lay in the summer. I found out the hard way that I either let her dig there, or she was going to make sure the steps to my house were not sitting straight because she was going to dig them out on one side. I did find a way to stop her digging at the fence, I have a few cement blocks that look like paving stones, they are actually from a silo. I just put them down in the hole they start at the fence, then for some reason, they stop digging there. I don't know if it is the weight of the stone or the feel of it, but they haven't dug at the fence for a couple of years now.

I had looked online once, I saw a german dog that looked almost like her, with the exception that the fur was black, I don't remember the size though. I cannot find it again. My son shut off my computer after I told him not to that day.

But, anyway, I appreciate all the help in trying to figure out what she is. It is just a curiosity of mine. She is just a sweet dog anyway. (Well, when she hides the horns. lol)
:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts