Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys rat has developed this huge sack under its belly. Its not squarely on the belly but more on the side of the belly and thigh? It wont let me attach a picture for you but the sack feels full of liquid with a hard spot in it. It started as a very small bump and in about a 2 week period got huge.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
id suggest bringing them to the vet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree ..take her to the vet. It sounds like a tumour although most are benign in rats it can still cause trouble by not allowing the rat to move around freely or putting pressure on their organs. Best to get it checked out sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Agreed. She needs a vet to take a look at it. It does sound like a tumour. :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im so sorry to here that, it sound exacly like what my rat got Bella it was so small at the beginning but it got really big it can get as big as a tennis ball, but the rat will adjust to it and it shouldn't hurt they can still live with it and can just disapear in a while. But it is a tumor, I know this because the lady I went to see has had rats for 20years and said no need to worry and she also said that the only time she had her rat put down was when the tumor got so big it was rubbing along the floor leaving hard scabs. Iam really really sorry though

·
Registered
228 Posts
It also sounds like it could be air caught in his stomach-- this happens to rats sometime. I recently thought one of my rats, buster, had a tumor but it was what I mentioned up top :/ he ended up dying at only 3 weeks of age last week. I have 2 left.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Oh, Pseudo, I am so sorry about your three week old rat. :(
That must have been so hard to lose a little one at only three weeks. I am very sorry about that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It was really hard because I saw him take his last breath...he was the cutest dumbo rat I've ever seen! Am I biased or are dumbo's generally calmer/easier?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The poor thing. I really feel for you. What was his name by the way?
I have heard the theories about dumbo rats being calmer, etc, but I am not sure if it is true or not? I have only ever had dumbo rats because they are just so sweet with those ears...there is something that makes them look even more innocent and precious with those big low ears that my husband and I just love. We love ALL rats of course, and there are jillions of people on this forum who have standard ear rats that are the sweetest little love bugs, so I wonder if the ear shape has nothing to do with how loving and calm rats are. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
aww im pseud ): my rat had something like that and i could stand seeing her like that, oh and I think dumbo rats are calmer as i now have some and they seem so much calmer to my othe top eared rats i had pervousliy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts