Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to change Moki into a smaller cage tonight so I can actually work on taming him and noticed these horrible scabs on his neck. Everything in his old cage is safe I have no idea and I use aspen have since I got him and have never had this problem please help.

Yes he DID pee on my laptop

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Ouch, that looks painful, I wonder what happened. Is there a possibility of mites, fleas, etc.? Hopefully one of the more mouse-savvy people pops on soon, I'm more of a hamster person. But I'd guess some sort of skin parasite.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a mite treatment on hand the rats had them a while back I can treat everyone tonight. Its not a high possibility he has the same bedding as all the hams and they dont have mites and he has not been exposed to anything lately no diet changes or anything.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Poor Moki, that looks so uncomfortable! I wish I knew what that was as well. :(
I am not familiar with this kind of skin problem so I also hope that some mice saavy people reply to your thread. I was thinking mites or something similar as well. I hope he will be okay? Can you take him to a local small animal vet to check it out?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The likelihood of your hamsters getting mites from bedding is very remote. Mice and rats on the other hand are a different story. When a wood or paper bedding is being stored before packaging, an infected wild mouse or wild rat can run across it and leave behind stowaways...since we don't have wild hamsters here it won't happen. :p

I would start freezing your aspen for 48 hours before you use it just in case.

I would also treat Moki just in case, but that does look nasty. Try the parasite treatment first, then after that he's going to need a vet visit.

I have something weird and similar going on with my Shiro mousegirl. She has these lesions/sores under her ears...I gave her metacam for pain/itching and baytril for any infection. It worked well on one side but not the other :(

It was orange-y pink and angry and bloody when I started...this is after a few days of treatment.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to treat him at home but I am fully prepared to take him to the vet this is spreading horribly fast and there are no visible mites though I know one type is microscopic. How should I treat him?

This is him tonight Sorry they are bad its just I want to stress him as little as possible to keep him fighting this for me as long as possible.

I am not parting his fur here he is a long fur so otherwise you would not see it that also shows his nose.

Even his little eye is bald :(

His neck tonight

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes but treat him with what? I was told not to use the revolution even though thats prob the safest bet for my little man

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
yes but treat him with what? I was told not to use the revolution even though thats prob the safest bet for my little man
Definitely use Revo, just the teensiest amount, and make sure not to get it on any open sores...just part the fur on his back and put the wee bit on the skin,so it absorbs through and into his blood supply.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used it on the rats so I can use it I will go treat him now. I have Teeny syringes for more accurate dosing. Should I treat anyone else? Before I noticed this I moved Nina into her cage so she needs treated and the female mice ... anyone else?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I used it on the rats so I can use it I will go treat him now. I have Teeny syringes for more accurate dosing. Should I treat anyone else? Before I noticed this I moved Nina into her cage so she needs treated and the female mice ... anyone else?
mice mites are different from rat mites so any mice you have handled around the same time as Moki, you might want to treat as a precaution.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only have my foster girls and him so I did treat the females Him the two ham dwarf girls and put some on the cat lol. I only put a tiny bit directly on the skin on each of them on Moki of course avoiding his scabs. My poor baby :(

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I only have my foster girls and him so I did treat the females Him the two ham dwarf girls and put some on the cat lol. I only put a tiny bit directly on the skin on each of them on Moki of course avoiding his scabs. My poor baby :(
There was no need to treat the cat and hamsters IMO so I wouldn't treat them again. The mites that infest them are a different species.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but the revolution was for the cat lol I treated the others because I had extra and it cant hurt

I wasnt worried about them infecting each other

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
but the revolution was for the cat lol I treated the others because I had extra and it cant hurt

I wasnt worried about them infecting each other
That's the thing, it can hurt. Those topicals are pretty harsh. They're great for treating small animals with fleas/ticks/mites but shouldn't be used unnecessarily and some rodents react poorly to them.

What's done is done and I'm sure everyone will be fine :). I just meant it as a bit of advice for the future since some people don't know that there are so many mite species.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put only a tiny bit. For emma its a preventative since she goes out with us so much. I only put it on Nina if she even got any on her I know for sure the mice are treated.

i will keep a close eye.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe its just me but Moki already seems better ... The scab on his neck seems smaller I dont see the two on his size or the one on his nose ... I know rodents heal freakishly fast but its been less than 12 hours.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
That's awesome to hear! :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Mice react badly to mites, they go insane scratching, even more than rats...why I always suggest ruling out the ectoparasites.

Glad to hear he's doing better :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Great news!! I am so glad he is doing better! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts