Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Wheat - good or bad?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kunecka 
#1 ·
I can't remember if wheat is good or bad or neutral for degus? Skippy loves Wheaties cereal. I thought it was a good alternative to nuts and seeds when it comes to treat. 3/4 cup only has 4 grams of sugar so I figured it's not too sweet for him if I only give him a few flakes at a time. I just need to know about the wheat part.

Also, I just posted about his breathing issues. I don't think they're related to Wheaties because I only started giving these to him 2-3 weeks ago and he's been having breathing issues for about 2-3 months.

#3 ·
I give regular shredded wheat as a treat here. I've never given Wheaties cereal, but only because I never buy that cereal.

As long as the sugar content is nil (or at least very, very low) I think that should be a fine treat for Skippy. (Though remember, if it has any sugar in it at all, it should be a rare treat, so that Skippy's glucose levels can get back down to normal.)

You can also try other sugar-free cereals - no sugar corn flakes, maybe a rice crispie, or even plain cheerios.

#5 ·
Wheaties are one of those "no sugar" cereals, most of that kind of cereals are still sweetened. I know for sure that for example corn flakes contain barley malt extract to sweetened it, even though they're really "plain". I don't know about cheerios so I'll have to experiment.

#6 ·
Oh, you should try giving Skippy a little piece of Melba Toast, he might like that! Imana sure does. Though that's a rare treat too because of the salt.

As long as you know what ingredients to avoid, you'll do fine. Sounds like you already know about the sugar, and have been careful to avoid it. And now we know why Skippy can scale the big jar of peanuts to obtain his treats - he ate his Wheaties! :p

#9 ·
Just look at the box, then you will be able to see how much is sugar :)
Just remember that if it says something line "15 g sugar" it's 15 grams out of 100 grams :)
Often you will notice that they give sugar quite a bit of different names. The fruite sugar is no problem, it's all the other stuff ;)

#11 ·
Thanks, although it's a little different here. It's not out of 100g but out of 1 serving which is usually about 1 cup of cereal, or 30g.
I have multiple food intolerances myself so I'm very good at detecting sugar, haha :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.