Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, new member, first post. We're first time hamster owners but researched everything thoroughly, recently getting two young female Russian Campbell's dwarfs. We were aware that female *Chinese* hamsters can be troublesome, but were happy enough (and reassured by the shop assistant) that female Campbell's would be fine together.

We've had them for three days:

Day one - got along charmingly, exploring their new cage, sleeping together fine in their house

Day two - my girlfriend gave them a hamster sleeping pouch thing, from Pets-At-Home, which they instantly adored and both slept in together fine, abandoning their other house.

Day three - we heard light squabbling from the pouch, but they were civil to each other out in the open. A few hours ago however they brought the disagreement out into the open and had a little tussle for a few moments. For the last few hours they've been largely separate, one in the pouch, one in the house.

What we want to know is have we made things worse by allowing them two houses to fight over? If they only had one cosy place would they just share? Does one hamster become dominant? (and take control of the favourite sleeping pouch?).

We'd really appreciate any tips or advice on what to look out for when two dwarfs argue, and whether or not we should be worried, anything we can do to help them get along etc. So far there's been no visible harm to either hamster and they seem happy enough. It's just that their squeaking can be quite disconcerting to hear, especially when we can't see what they're doing to each other.
Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: just thought I'd add that this squabbling isn't CONSTANT, but seems to occur when they meet each other again after a while apart. If one disturbs the other's sleep for example. And often it will last a few minutes and then they'll settle down, or one will leave and sleep in the other home. We just want them to get along!

·
Registered
149 Posts
All I know is that my boyfriend ended up with 12 russians from an original pair (well done petshop, they really weren't sexed properly!!) and they all had to be seperated eventually. He was reluctant to separate them as we were told that they were sociable but in our experience that just wasn't the case once they had reached adulthood. However I'm sure there are people who have had pairs live happily together. I would say keep a close eye and if either of them draw blood then you know it's time for seperate cages. They could just be working out who's going to be the dominant one. Check on stuff like if both of them are able to eat freely from the foodbowl, without one of them guarding it and preventing the other from getting to it. One of our pairs of boys did this and obviously a little thing like a russian hamster doesn't need to be losing weight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts