Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out where to do out time for the rats... Usually I have them out to by two on the couch but thats almost no exploring. I was thinking maybe the bathroom its very hard to pet proof my house and I want them safe...

What do you do?

Soon I will have just an apartment so maybe bathroom and pet closet there?

Just trying to come up with ideas.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant do that my bf and I have too much stuff in our room :( Plus my boys poop when they are out he would throw a fit.

that is a really good idea though :)

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are going to have a walk in closet and we dont hang up our clothes lol So the hams and mice are going in their anyway. :p

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
I use my bathroom too. It's the easiest to monitor. Check under the cabinets for cracks and openings though. I missed a small one inch square in mine the first time I had the boys freerange. I found it when I saw the back end of a ratbutt disappearing from view into the sub cabinet crawlspace two inches too fast for me to grasp.

I thought I was going to have to rip up the inside of my cabinet to get him out but luckily the carpenter was equally negligent on the inside. When I opened the door, I saw a huge opening along one entire wall where he didn't bother to connect the wood. So my ratty was able and most importantly, interested in climbing into the towels where I could easily retrieve him instead of under the cabinet crawlspace.

I use a playpen for my rats too.

Here's one idea: http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm#ratrun

This is the one I made myself:

http://www.squidoo.com/RatPen

Note that it requires you to cut connecting notches into the hardboard. If you don't have a rotary saw and if you get it from a place like Home Depot, they'll cut it for free to your specifications.

If you've got persistent jumpers and little money, the martin's playpen is well worth the investment: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

It has the advantage of being able to be laid out on a bed (I use a blanket with a waterproof tablecloth underneath to protect the bed for such things).

· Registered
1,317 Posts
I've never had problems with my rats getting out of their playpen, not even when they were babies. Back then, though, I always supervised them when they were in the pen. Of course, they just turned 28 months old yesterday, so I really don't have to worry about any shenanigans anymore, and they now live 24/7 in their playpen. It's a lot easier on their weak legs to be in one flat, large area as opposed to a cage with ramps. (They still have 24/7 access to their cage, but they don't really use it too much anymore.)

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
Haha. I had jumpers, so they would constantly try to jump out. Once one made it to the edge, the other ones would realize it could be done and quickly follow suit. It was like playing a weird nonviolent ratty version of whack-a-mole. Except for the hairless, who have always been agile and svelte, the others eventually got to big and lazy to bother with jumping. I imagine females could be a big challenge.

Happy 28th month birthday boys!

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am thinking of making a playpen similar to that but collapsable and my rats tend to not pee outside the cage unless frightened so I can just buy a cheap sheet.

It would certainly be less expensive than buying two playpens and connecting them and my hammies and mice could play in it too :) all at different times of course

But that still brings up the problem of my cat ... do we just set up the playpen in our room and lock the cat out?

· Registered
1,317 Posts
However you decide to do the playpen, it's always best if you only let your rats/hamsters/mice etc. in it when you are there to supervise. So, yes--I'd suggest removing the cat from the room, and remaining in the room/playpen area at all times when your rats are in it playing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.