Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to get a baby bunny and I just wanted to know if anyone knows a private breeder or something in the vancouver area thats sells them.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm not familiar with the area but have you tried any shelters? They might have some or know of other rescues with them.

Since you asked about a breeder I assume your friend wanted a certain breed. Knowing that will help too :).

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I would suggest your friend looks in shelters first - shelters usually have baby bunnies because the mothers come in pregnant quite often.

Another good place to look is the adds in your local paper, or on craigslist. A lot of times you can find local ppl who need to rehome rabbits - I got one of my bunnies from a family on craigslist because they had allergies to him.

If your looking for a breeder, it will definatly help to know what breeds your looking for.

I just did a simple google search and came up with these results:

Vancouver Rabbit Rescue & Advocacy

Petfinder pet list - Pets at BC SPCA Vancouver Shelter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes look at the ARBA.net Or do search example would be English Angoras breeders in Van.ect., I thought that maybe I could help, being a breeder myself, guide you to find a good breeder. Every good breeder is in the ARBA but not every member of the ARBA is a good breeder. You should find a breeder that you feel comfortable talking w/ and someone who answers all your questions thoroughly. Ask to see their rabbitry if nearby,never buy from anyone who refuses to let you see the rabbitry( some areas of the rabbitry may be off limits). Ask if you can call or e-mail them if you have any questions later on. You should also study the breed standard,make sure the pedigree paper is complete and expect to pay a bit more when buying a pedigreed bunny. If you want to show your bunny(real fun) ask the breeder to pick out the best show quality bunny for you. And make sure the rabbitry is clean w/ little to no smell, bunnies are clean,alert,and have clear eyes. Make sure breeders keep sick rabbits away from others and that their are no rabbits cramped in hutches. And don't freak out when you see or hear that the rabbits have been line bred actually thats what you do want in pedigreed rabbits(line bred is wording for inbreeding). Rabbits are not people and the best show bunnies are heavy line bred! Also ask breeder when they let babies eat more than pellets......most don't feed anything other than pellets for 3 months........it could kill them.......Also alot of good breeders guarantee their bunnies for at least a week or more..........Good luck and make sure you go w/ the breeder that you feel comfortable w/.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts