Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am dreaming about getting a dog, though it probably won't happen anytime soon because I want to build a very large run first. Much larger than my husband is thinking of, which is why it will take a while for things to happen.

I am looking for advice on which breed of dog to get. My first dog was a chow-shepherd-lab cross. She was awesome - I had her for about 13 years.

Here are the requirements for a new dog:

Must live outside. Must be safe to have around the family. Must keep children near the house and deer away from the house (especially the one that just ate half the leaves off my new cherry tree). Must have hair that is not too long (too much work) and not too short (too cold in winter). Will spend a lot of time with me informally (walking, gardening, playing), but probably not a lot of time being formally trained.

What breed do you think would be best?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
For most of your requirements,I second the Great Pyrenees. That was my very first thought when reading what you want in a dog. However they do need grooming.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/greatpyrenees.htm

http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/gpcabreed.html

My second thought is the German Shepherd. They are very easy to train and are protective/loyal to their families. They can do a lot of jobs and also enjoy spending time with their family.

http://www.gsdca.org/

http://www.officialgermanshepherdguide.com/German_Shepherd.php

Whatever you choose,I hope you will have a good shelter set up for the dog. I am not against dogs being kept outdoors (especially if they are working dogs) as long as they are still properly cared for and have proper shelter.

:)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Maybe you should try dog selector Animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
See here is the thing. Most dogs that will drive away large animals and that are large typically need some sort of training. Most will bounce around if they don't burn off enough energy.

St. Bernards are fairly easy (but can have energy...) and come in short hair. Don't worry they're big dogs. They can keep themselves warm in snow with just a dog house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked up the great pyrenese and my first three throughts were (1) "Beautiful!" (2) "Huge!" (3) "That's a lot of fur!" I will do some more research on that breed and am also looking forward to trying out that dog selector website.

I can't imagine having a dog as big as a St. Bernard, though I'm sure they're excellent. I won't write them off though - I'll read up on them, too. Maybe a huge dog would actually be better, since I'm too terrified to go for walks in the country by myself.

I'm all for a little puppy training, to get off on the right foot. I just don't think I'd have time to train a dog intensely on an ongoing basis. The dog would be more for companionship and security, long term.

I plan for the run we eventually build to be a minimum 20 ft x 50 ft (or maybe a lot bigger, if I get my way). We already have cozy houses we can move in there. And the dog will sleep in the garage when the weather approaches freezing (which isn't often here). So don't worry about him/her being neglected. And I have three children to love on him/her, too.

I've always thought border collies were so pretty, but I've heard they need a tremendous amount of training.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Border collies need a lot of training and always need to have something to do. They are intense, have a lot of drive and high energy. Without something to do,they become bored and destructive.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a border collie as an outside, non-working dog. They need a lot of exercise, interaction, and stimulation. An un-trained border collie can also be nippy with children due to a herding instinct. Beautiful dogs but better for someone who wants to work with them in a sport or something :).

Will the dog be allowed inside sometimes? I'm just wondering why the dog has to be an outside dog because there are some breeds I'd love to recommend but can't because of the weather in your area. I can understand keeping certain working dogs outside but many of the family-oriented breeds do better when allowed to come inside :). And the reason people are suggesting huge dogs is because those are some of the only breeds that could handle the cold in your area ;). I wanted to suggest a Rottweiler, for example, until I saw you lived in Canada. I think it'd get too cold.

Thinking about it...this is tricky because you need a dog that can handle cold but you don't want a dog with a long coat. Most of the breeds designed for cooler climates have long coats. Hmm.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
LOL Not all of Canada is cold! British COlumbia borders the Pacific Ocean and therefore is much warmer than say, Atlantic Canada (where I'm from). Needless to say, BC also borders Alaska... :/ Just wanted to clear it up!!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
LOL Not all of Canada is cold! British COlumbia borders the Pacific Ocean and therefore is much warmer than say, Atlantic Canada (where I'm from). Needless to say, BC also borders Alaska... :/ Just wanted to clear it up!!
I'm aware of that but she mentioned the cold in her post. Until reading to that point I hadn't noticed the location or anything.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Thats why I recommended she make sure she has proper shelter. There are people here who keep outdoor dogs and have heated sheds for the dogs.

That being said,I would not keep something like doberman or other sleek breed outdoors. GP's, Bernese mountain dogs, huskies and breeds like that can live outdoors. Even GSD's can. As long as you have proper shelter.

What about a long coated GSD? They do need some grooming though.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
A dog that lives outside is not going to be a "companion".

Most dogs forced to live outside are not well socialized and will not be "good with children".

You say you don't want to spend a lot of time "training" which means, to me, that the dog is going to be mostly ignored.

Dogs are PACK animals. They are social animals. They need regular daily exercise (walks, not just running free in a pen or chained to it), several hours of daily attention, constant training and activity (Jobs).

I don't know how to say this in a respectful manner, I don't mean to cause offense, but please, don't get a dog.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
She wants a working dog.

Working dogs are often outdoors and it does not mean they are not cared for. I know people personally who have outdoor working dogs and they love their dogs and they are happy. I do agree with you to a point though,it is easier to neglect outdoor dogs in some cases if they are "out of sight,out of mind".

That being said though,a lot of dogs indoors are neglected too. Sometimes more so then an outdoor,working dog.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
She wants a working dog.

Working dogs are often outdoors and it does not mean they are not cared for. I know people personally who have outdoor working dogs and they love their dogs and they are happy. I do agree with you to a point though,it is easier to neglect outdoor dogs in some cases if they are "out of sight,out of mind".

That being said though,a lot of dogs indoors are neglected too. Sometimes more so then an outdoor,working dog.
It actually sounded like she wanted a family dog as a companion, not a "working" dog. Or at least that's how I interpreted the post.

Unless the dog's "job" is to chase away deer--in which case I still don't consider it a "working" dog. I mean, our pampered mostly indoor Cockers do that :lol:. My friend's Shih Tzu chases away deer too, ha.

She wants a dog that's attached to the children and will look after them. I would consider that to be a companion dog but it's going to be more difficult to get that kind of bond with an outside dog, especially if she doesn't want to spend much time training.

I like your suggestion of a GSD but I think they require too much grooming for the OP.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I just reread the thread and I am not sure where I got "working dog" from,but I think I may be mixing this thread up with another...my bad!

Well if she wants a dog to live outside,most dogs that can live outside need some sort of grooming.

So now I am going to ask you (the original poster)...why exactly do you want a dog?

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Dogs that live outside need just as much attention, grooming, training, socialization as dogs that live inside. More, even.

Whether the dogs is a working dog or a family pet s/he still needs these things on a daily basis.

I got the impression from Kristine's posts that she wants a dog who does not require training or grooming or attention, there is no such dog as that. If you want a dog to perform certain jobs, the dog has to be trained to do those jobs, and the training is on going. If you want a dog to bond with the children, the dog has to be a part of the family.

She appears to be looking for a dog who will simply be exactly what she expects it to be, with no effort. Not seen nor heard, out of sight and mind, until she wants him/her.

I mean no disrespect, but that is absolutely not the right attitude to have, when planning to adopt a dog. It is completely unrealistic. Perhaps Kristine has just not thought this through, in which case I am very glad she posted her question here.

Dogs are living creatures with emotional feelings and needs, both physical and psychological. All dogs take effort and time, every day, if they are to have a decent quality of life.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I know that. I already said that.

Being involved in a rescue that constantly takes in dogs who are neglected outdoors and who are "tools",I think I would know that they need care. I was saying though when a dog is "out of sight,out of mind" they are easier to neglect. I prefer dogs being in with their families. But there are working dogs and I know people who have outdoor working dogs who take care of them/train them and whatever. I didn't say they didn't need care.

The OP wants a outdoor dog that she doesn't need to groom,so I don't think she is going to find that,because any breed that I would think is okay outdoors needs some level of grooming.

That being said,I also was either misreading this thread and what she wanted or mixing it up with another thread talking about working dogs. It isn't even about working dogs! Thats my fault...:blush:...I sometimes have more then 1 forum (I am in a dog forum and another pet forum that is mostly dog oriented) and I could very well be mixing up this thread with another in my mind. So it is my fault the discussion went to working breeds.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I understand Lisa. :) My comment is meant to point out that regardless of what type of dog, what breed, or what the dog is wanted for, the dog needs daily attention by way of grooming, exercise, socialization and training. It matters not whether the dog is a working dog or a family pet or a "guard" dog, the dogs daily basic needs are the same, and to have a happy dog takes work, every day.

I know you know that. :) But sometimes people really don't understand, and hopefully when they read threads like these, they will.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I understand Lisa. :) My comment is meant to point out that regardless of what type of dog, what breed, or what the dog is wanted for, the dog needs daily attention by way of grooming, exercise, socialization and training. It matters not whether the dog is a working dog or a family pet or a "guard" dog, the dogs daily basic needs are the same, and to have a happy dog takes work, every day.

I know you know that. :) But sometimes people really don't understand, and hopefully when they read threads like these, they will.
And I agree 100% with you.

Here in Newfoundland,people keep beagles outdoors in very crappy kennels and they are neglected. I have seen a lot from dgs with embedded collars to skinny,dirty dogs to scared/submissive dogs...all who were living outdoors. As I said..."out of sight,out of mind". It is quite sad really.

But to the original poster, I ask why exactly do you want a dog?? What is your purpose and why do you want him/her to live outdoors?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts