21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
This is an old thread......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey what about jirds? They are really friendly and love to explore and play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
degues

:wave: Hi my name is Debbie. I have 5 degus for sale. They are 12 weeks old. They are very friendly they love to be held. I've been handling them since they were a day old. There is one that like to climb on his water bottle to tell me he wants to get out and be held. I' m selling them for 2 for $20. I need to get them homes soon because mom is going to have another litter soon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have bearded dragons aswell, by the sounds of it, everything you want, you will get in Degus...dude they rock...

·
the rodent lover<3
626 Posts
I'd say a Rat, or a Gerbil. Both have very long life spans, and are just ADORABLE!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Biasedly a flyer sounds good for you, they're pretty quiet, great fun once they've bonded to you. fun to watch and they live 10-15 yrs. they're pretty easy, and like your lizards they need calcium and vitamin d3 supplements and you can actually use the reptile supplement for the southern flying squirrel. they're social with you and who you live with and sometimes others but they prefer being in cages by themselves unless they have a mate.
But degus sound pretty cool too, thinkin bout gettin a few of those later once im out of my parents' house and in my own place.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I'd say a Rat, or a Gerbil. Both have very long life spans, and are just ADORABLE!

Not really.
The average rat lifespan is 2-3 yrs,sometimes 4.

The gerbil's average lifespan is 3-4,sometimes 5 yrs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not really.
The average rat lifespan is 2-3 yrs,sometimes 4.

The gerbil's average lifespan is 3-4,sometimes 5 yrs.
Those are long lifespans when you consider hamster lifespans etc. Also, i have had a gerbil live up to 6 years old :) Now that's a long lifespan.

What about ferrets? They like cuddles and have fairly long life spans :)

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Those are long lifespans when you consider hamster lifespans etc. Also, i have had a gerbil live up to 6 years old :) Now that's a long lifespan.

What about ferrets? They like cuddles and have fairly long life spans :)
But not long if you look at pets that live long...
Dog, cat, bird, or to mention a rodent with a long lifespan, the chinchilla.

The ferret is not a rodent ;)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
No...a couple years is not that long.
I would much rather a rat live 10 yrs or so then 3! :)
Thats my opinion though.

·
1,530 Posts
No...a couple years is not that long.
I would much rather a rat live 10 yrs or so then 3! :)
Thats my opinion though.
Totally agree.
I considered rats at one point, but they don't get old enough imo.
One of my chins just got her first baby. I checked her pedegree, and she is born on the same date as her baby, so there are exactly 3 years between them...
Then I thought about rats - had she been a rat, she would most likley be dead now. A quite creepy thought.

·
Registered
144 Posts
But not long if you look at pets that live long...
Dog, cat, bird, or to mention a rodent with a long lifespan, the chinchilla.

The ferret is not a rodent ;)
I know that the ferret isn't a rodent :rolleyes: I was just suggesting it as a pet because obviously, people don't seem to want animals with short life spans. and the ferret has a relatively long lifespan.

·
1,530 Posts
I know that the ferret isn't a rodent :rolleyes: I was just suggesting it as a pet because obviously, people don't seem to want animals with short life spans. and the ferret has a relatively long lifespan.
But the person in the first post wanted a rodent (even though this post is outdated ;))

GP's, degus, chinchillas and a couple of more exotic rodents do have long lifespans :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
GP's, degus, chinchillas and a couple of more exotic rodents do have long lifespans :)[/quote]

true, but ferrets are small and playful like rodents and also deserve to be considered :yes:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Ferrets are also alot of work and some people are not up for the challenge.Ferrets need even more time out of cages then other small animals.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ferrets are also alot of work and some people are not up for the challenge.Ferrets need even more time out of cages then other small animals.
That's very true. They need at least 3-4 hours playtime every day.
That's what my 3 get :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've had mice, rats, hamsters of all sorts, and guinea pigs..and I do not have one answer..all I can say is that each one has deeply enriched my life and I NEVER regretted having any of them, each one brought something new to the table, each one was nothing short of special in their own ways

Regardless of which rodent you get, you will have made a great choice, rodents make amazing pets and sometimes it's hard to believe how amazing they actually are

21 - 39 of 39 Posts