Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moms ex boyfriend has a cat that he lets breed constantly. she is currently pregnant and I know if she has a daughter I want to get it out of there. I've done all the research on cats and know the expenses and everything. it may make it harder for me to get an apartment but I may be saving her life

However I have been saving up for mice. and they are easier to care for.

Should I just get the cat? Why buy a pet when I can rescue this girl?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
if you feel you can save a life and are up for the challenge and expense and have the time then id say save her :) the after math is very rewarding

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really shouldnt be any more expense than a normal cat. She has healthy babies. I am prepared to take on the responsibility of her. If the cat has a female kitten and I have a job I will go get her.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
The problem is, this man is a BYB. There is no way possible that any of the parents and kittens are guaranteed healthy. Sure they look healthy, but when was the last time any of them was brought to vet? I'm sure if he has the mama cat which he just lets out she's getting pregnant from tom cats. Tom cats are inherently dirty and usually carry feline HIV or some other contractable disease. If you are prepared for the added vet costs if she ends up having something wrong with her, then go for her! She'll live longer than mice and more sociable. My sister got her cat Illusion off a BYB. He has something genetically wrong with his eye that every few months it gets watery and sore. It came from one of the tom cats which the BYB said she recognized as a "fight scratch".. -_-
A "Normal" cat these days is a typical BYB bred cat. Too many people let their cats out to roam and it comes home pregnant. No body knows the genetic illnesses which could be transferred nor the genes of the cat. Granted, all my cats ever in my life have come from these situations and you'd be hard pressed to find one that isn't unless you find a reputable cat breeder) but just to make it aware. Tom cats can be quite dirty things.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The funny thing is the father is a house cat lol. He is a Himalayan they've seen him hanging around and since they are in the middle of nowhere you dont see many males. Also he does not breed her and sell the kittens so technically he is just an irresponsible owner. I am willing to do whatever is needed for her.

I'm only even getting a kitten if she has a female. She is a great cat and her kittens love to bond to me lol and she's let me watch one of her deliveries ( she is my moms ex fiances cat)

Also I plan to take her to the vet at the latest when she is 6 months for all her shots and her spay. I am hoping to save enough to take her to have her wormed and I will be flea treating her ( just cleaning her with dawn or ivory she is too young for anything else and those were the best kitten solutions I found)

How much does it generally cost to take your kitten to the vet to be wormed?

Btw just for cuteness here is a past litter

And here is the mommy

And our current cats

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Aw, talk about squeezing that little black kitten!!! :p Aw I loooove little Halloween cats! I'd take an orange one and the black one ^^

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has such cute babies I cant wait to get my little girl :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lessee, I took Skooma to the Spay and Neuter Clinic and got her spayed for... $120? I recently got both cats dewormed and year-check-up which was $90 total. Sugar came pre-spayed and vaccinated and she was about $240. Skooma had to be vaccinated and for each visit it was $50 (which included a general health check).

Don't quote me on any of that. I can barely remember the costs XD

Before you decide on this, however, let me give you some perspective:

Sugar came from a pet store with attached vet clinic. She was spayed and vaccinated already, checked over for health problems etc. She was $240 or so. Since I got her she has had no problems, not even a worm infestation. (well, physical problem, anyhow, the mental part...)

Skooma was from my friends family's boonies home where they tried to find homes for the many cats that wandered their backyard. Every time there was a litter they would try to find good homes for the kittens. They couldn't afford cat food for all of them so the cats were fed scraps and whatever they could catch.

Skooma came to me with an Upper Respiratory Infection. I could not vaccinate, deworm, or spay her according to the vet, until it cleared up. About $90 for a first cat checkup. Later on, Skooma started leaking bloody diarrhea and worms, I took her to the emergency when the blood wouldn't stop and they gave me a deworming pill and some antibiotics. Apparently she had so many worms inside her they burst a blood vessel. Around $130? For the emergency trip and medication. Skooma developed an eye problem. I took her in and they prescribed eye drops. Um, this one's even more vague I think it was $30 for the meds without a checkup because she had just been in. Before her yearly checkup Skooma developed worms... again. So on top of her checkup fee ($90?) she had to get the specific worm pills too ($50?).

Skooma will always have the Upper Respiratory Infection. It's highly contagious to other cats so Sugar is at risk too. I feed raw to keep them both in tip top health and each cat is given half a caplet of L-Lysine (herpes meds in humans) twice a day. Since Skooma sucks I've been tempted to pick up the $20 paste of L-Lysine with beef flavour because she eats that a lot easier. As it stands, I buy about one bottle of L-Lysine powder caplets a month $10 (I think).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is a cat from an unknown place that's never been checked by a vet can have huuuge repercussions. It can cost you an immeasurable amount of money. So think loooong and hard before you pick up that kitten (cuz, ya know, they're Super Powers of Cuteness will make you take it home if you touch it).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not an unknown place lol I lived there and her Mommy is VERY healthy I have thought long and hard Kitten faces dont tempt me puppies do I know in my heart this is right and its what I am going to do. I know what this could mean

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the momma cat or kittens aren't checked by a vet it's an unknown situation. Since the tom was wandering around (and I assume the mum too) they are considered in unknown health. It doesn't matter if the cats are house cats or you can see the male wandering around, if they both haven't been vet checked then you don't know what kind of cat yer getting.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Its this or let her be killed or bred every 6 months. I know it could be expensive but no matter what she will be better off with me than where she is. Also I have never seen the kitten I am getting I dont know if the mom has delivered.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I still think you should go for the kitten. I know you have a vet picked out with the Kitten Package and I hope everything works out. God knows if my roommate ever gets a kitten it will be from unknown sources.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still think you should go for the kitten. I know you have a vet picked out with the Kitten Package and I hope everything works out. God knows if my roommate ever gets a kitten it will be from unknown sources.
Thanks Purple-hops :) Thats the plan we are currently saving for the vet :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I know you already are getting a kitten...or so I am guessing from other threads,but I don't understand how this helps the mom? The mother will just continue to be back bred...why not adopt the mother cat?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That was the original plan he will not let me what I am going to do is take pictures and report him. and leave my number in case she is taken out of the house. I WANT the mom cat but getting the daughter out prevents her from being bred and its the best i can do

I have even offered if he wont let me have her to let me pay to get her fixed he just rolled his eyes at me and said " I dont want her fixed" I asked why and he said " cuz its my cat" There is not much I can do but I am gonna do all i can

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Aww,I am sorry to hear that. Poor mommy cat. At least one of the daughters will get a lovely home.

I know how that is...my neighbor back breeds her two mutt dogs,the father which has seizures and the mom has had over 12 litters now and is getting "up there" in age. The misses sells the puppies for $100 per pup and HAS enough to fix her dogs,but she won't because it is "easy money". And because she keeps her dogs indoors,feeds them and they look healthy,the SPCA won't do anything. They only seize dogs from abusive/neglectful situations...:(

Oh I meant to comment,I LOVE the orange kittens in the picture! I always liked the orange kitties.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats the thing he doesnt sell them to loving homes he lets them die or disappear he isnt even as responsible as a byb boo is 7 and came to us with a litter so I'd say .... 13 litters

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Thats the thing he doesnt sell them to loving homes he lets them die or disappear he isnt even as responsible as a byb boo is 7 and came to us with a litter so I'd say .... 13 litters
Oh,well he does sound irresponsible...something needs to be done for the cat's sake. And my neighbor's are BYB's,but they are in it for the money.

In the case of this guy,it sounds very much like my friend's mom (where my sister got her cat)...who would just let her cats get pregnant and have litter after litter. She just gave the kittens to whoever wanted them.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am taking pictures of everything while I am there and reporting him The irony is people give him pets thinking he takes great care of them

Can I use Emma's vet report against him?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
It's great when you're a wonderful oral presenter. You can create the wildest tales and people will bow to you. *ahemHitlercoughMussoliniahemStalin* bless me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts