Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been trying to take my puppy (12 weeks) on walks, but everytime i put him down outside he just sits and lays down on the ground when I start to walk and he wont move from little tugs. He's a small breed (pug mix) and I don't know why he does this, perhaps you guys might.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Probably he doesn't feel motivated, you need to work on something that would interest him to wonder and explore outside. Maybe you can bring him to any dog park where he can see other dogs having fun running and bouncing around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem - my started being plain stubborn and throwing tantrums... (she'd been to the vet for a checkup a week or so before so I know she's healthy) I walked back to the house so she thought she had 'won', and she went back in...
I leashed up my other dog and all of a sudden she's at the gate crying and whining - she wants to come.
Next evening - I took out my other dog and not her... she's at the gate whining and crying - she wanted to go.

Evening after that, I leashed her up, and she went out without a hitch...

Now I walk them together - (bullmastiff & rottie) without a problem... ( I love to see the looks on the faces of passers-by when 5'5 me is walking two large very well behaved dogs... lol) people even stop their cars to look... lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a small dog. She is a pure pug. I never had problems walking her. She actually gets too excited and tends to run around every time I take her out for a walk. Maybe you could use a toy; a ball perhaps. Have him play with it. Once he starts playing with the ball, throw it in short distance and see if he will go after it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You need to show that walks are a good thing (keep in mind with hot days walking your dog can actually cause 2nd degree burns + on their paws from hot concrete/sand etc). Use incentives like treats to encourage walking. It might take some time, but with patience you will get your pup walking. Being 12weeks don't make it far though as it can cause problems with joints later in life. And being so little they get tuckered out quickly :) good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts