Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight i noticed that my rat Chef was going through heat, which made me realise that my other rat (butler) who is about the same age as chef has never gone into heat. she is allot smaller and skinnier and suffers from myco, could that have any thing to do with it?

thanks for you help.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
It is possible she has gone into heat and you just haven't noticed.Rats go into heat every 4-5 days and it lasts about 12 hours.It is possible you were not around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am with them about 3 hours during the day and and about 2 hours of that is during the evening so i doubt i would have missed. are there any other posobilities?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Why do you think she is not going into heat?
Some rats are not as noticable with the vibrating/ear wiggling.The only female I have (I have 5 females) that is noticable when she is in heat is Sage.She vibrates like crazy! The others are quite subtle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh I thought all female rats went nuts and shaky like my chef, and butler is a lot calmer than her so maybe ihave never noticed. Thanks a lot for your help I was worried that I might need to take her to the vet!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
No prob!
Nah,all ratties are different! :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
As was mentioned rats go into heat every 4-5 days but some aren't as overt as others. No frog-hopping, ear vibrating, back arching (lordosis) for those shy little misses. :lol: But ALL girls will have one sign, but you would need to flip them over every evening to check. Their vaginal opening will open up a lot, and some even go purple/bluish from blood flow which is perfectly normal :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thank you so much for the help. yah im starting to check every night.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I'm not planning on breeding her. i just thought she might have something wrong with her.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Nothing to worry about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts