Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone in my family love dogs. But when we go over to my brothers house, my four year old little girl gets scared out of her mind. My brother has a 260 pound English mastiff, the dog is really sweet. But for some reason my daughter doesn’t want to be anywhere near the dog. From day one, she has just been terrified of the dog, she was really hesitant to meet the dog the first time, she did it. But then I noticed that she was afraid.

why is this? We have a border collie at home and they get along and play together just fine. Even when they first met on day one. When my brothers dog starts barking or stands up, or just walks near her, my daughter will run to me wanting to be picked up. She doesn’t even want to be in the same room as the dog, even when I’m holding her In my arms, she doesn’t want me to go anywhere near him.

of course I respect my daughter and I make sure she feels safe. But why is she like this?

My brothers dog has done nothing wrong. Why is she acting so scared of him? Like I said we have a border collie at home and they play together. Is she just pretending to be scared for attention 😀 ? What’s up? I just don’t see why it’s so scary about the mastiff.

· Registered
1 Posts
Everyone in my family love dogs. But when we go over to my brothers house, my four year old little girl gets scared out of her mind. My brother has a 260 pound English mastiff, the dog is really sweet. But for some reason my daughter doesn’t want to be anywhere near the dog. From day one, she has just been terrified of the dog, she was really hesitant to meet the dog the first time, she did it. But then I noticed that she was afraid.

why is this? We have a border collie at home and they get along and play together just fine. Even when they first met on day one. When my brothers dog starts barking or stands up, or just walks near her, my daughter will run to me wanting to be picked up. She doesn’t even want to be in the same room as the dog, even when I’m holding her In my arms, she doesn’t want me to go anywhere near him.

of course I respect my daughter and I make sure she feels safe. But why is she like this?

My brothers dog has done nothing wrong. Why is she acting so scared of him? Like I said we have a border collie at home and they play together. Is she just pretending to be scared for attention 😀 ? What’s up? I just don’t see why it’s so scary about the mastiff.
Your daughter is probably scared of your mastiff just due to their size; it likely has nothing to do with their mannerisms. After all, your daughter is a young and small girl, while your dog is much bigger than her. Naturally, that causes some nervousness or fear in children.

I suggest helping your child develop a coping mechanism for being around these kinds of large dogs. By giving your child this tool, she has the power to overcome this fear on her own, helping her build confidence. You may not always be around your child when she sees large dogs like yours, but you can help her understand what to do in the situation on her own.

I hope this helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your daughter is probably scared of your mastiff just due to their size; it likely has nothing to do with their mannerisms. After all, your daughter is a young and small girl, while your dog is much bigger than her. Naturally, that causes some nervousness or fear in children.

I suggest helping your child develop a coping mechanism for being around these kinds of large dogs. By giving your child this tool, she has the power to overcome this fear on her own, helping her build confidence. You may not always be around your child when she sees large dogs like yours, but you can help her understand what to do in the situation on her own.

I hope this helps!
The border collie we have at home is bigger then her. He is a good 20 pounds heavier then her as well, why isn’t she scared of his size?

I honest don’t see what is so scary about the mastiff.

· Registered
610 Posts
Because an english mastiff is much larger than a border collie and looks nothing alike. Think of it akin to why airports switched to floppy-eared bomb and drug dogs like labs from pointed ear dogs like shepherds. Floppy ear dogs are perceived as less threatening, especially to children.
The mastiff is a giant compared to border collie and likely has different mannerisms that she is not familiar with. She knows her dog,she doesn't know that dog. Even if the mastiff is a 10x gold metal reigning champ of "sweetest dog of the year" award, the fact he is large is intimidating. They have giant heads and floppy faces, a body that probably knocked over its fair share of items off tables. You have to work around it, let her see how he won't hurt her, he's just big and bumbly. maybe read Clifford the big red dog to her and equate Clifford to the mastiff. She should start to build connections in her head about how he's just a good and friendly dog as her own or as Clifford, he's just a big dog.
You should also ask her why she is scared of the dog, and work off what she says

1 - 4 of 4 Posts