Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Wild Blueberries :D

Photos! 
352 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  kathyh4 
#1 · (Edited)
SO because of the bad weather during the months of July and first half of August the harvest was 3 weeks late. But I went up with Lisa (VanillaRat) and her girl Chloe for a walk and we spotted the blueberries!!! I was lucky enough to have brought bags so we picked berries up there. :tonguerol

Signal Hill is a Canadian Heritage site and the location of Cabot Tower where Sir Marconi sent and received the first trans Atlantic communication via morse code. Cool place to go, wicked trails and spectacular view. (I believe I have posted pictures here of the trails and scenery before)

Signal Hill is the largest site in St. John's for wild blueberries. Actually I'm not even sure how far you have to go out of town to find more. But anyway, among other things are wild raspberries, blackberries, Labrador tea, sheepkill, scent bottle orchids, meadowsweet, knapweed, pitcher plants (which are so ugly they became the provincial plant somehow), cotton grass, fox glove, meadow rose, crackerberry, rhodora, cinnamon fern, black crowberries, hawkweed.. Anyway I'm getting carried away. :hehe: I plan to start a quest tomorrow to go up collecting some of these things for medicinal purposes.

Not my point, I have some pics of the blueberry bushes (they grow close to the ground on most of the hill but also on bushes. The first thing I made was berry scones. I didn't realise that they would rise like they did!!! :p They're so tasty and crumbly. Gonna go visis my mom tomorrow and bring some up. Here's the recipe I mostly followed, I altered the sugar and added 2/3 cup rather the tsp. it called for.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,175,146183-224203,00.html

I recommend it :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Mmmmmmm...blueberries. Wants to go get more. Chloe ate all hers and I gave my berries to the rats. We did have blueberry waffles today,but they were store bought.

I wanna try baking blueberry cookies though.

Oh and the biggest blueberry patch is on Signal Hill? I didn't know that. There are loads over on South Side hill and also in that secret location behind the Labatt Brewery (which I forgot how to get to). I don't think I likes scones. I only ever had plain ones at nanny's before. Oh and I like the close up blueberry pics.

#4 ·
South side has been torn up for the sewage plant. A customer at work last night told me there's some on the face of Quide Vidi lake but comparing the location of urban, commercially owned land (in town like the brewery) to the untouched entire hill of Sig Hill than yes, it is the biggest patch. Nobody is allowed to develop up on the hill so it's allowed to cycle and grow.

Day 2 of my scones;: I don't know what I did but they're the consistancy now of cake. They're not hard like scones usually are. It's delicious heated with butter but you need all of you fingers or a utensil o_O

Lisa, scones are tea biscuits. They're usually triangle in shape (Mine aren't very triangle :p) and crumbly inside but hard on the outside. Any Newfoundlander at any time usually has them around bc of their nostalgic sentiments (years ago when all you had around was a bit of sugar, flour, some leavener (baking powder) they made these a lot). Nanny used to be always stocked up, it's how I got into them. They're not particularly sweet and they can be dry which is why people have them with tea.. You never touched them :D But I think you might like mine :0

#5 ·
Oh interesting. Though I still believe there is a patch behind the brewery. It is a secret area...the only way to get there,was walk through someone's backyard. I remember,cause Sarah showed me.

And I know what scones are...I DID try them at nanny's in Old Perlican. I don't like them,not from what I remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.