Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom works at an animal hospital and just had someone bring in an orphan litter of mice (of course, by 'orphan,' these people probably just mean 'I saw no mother an assumed orphan, but now momma mouse is missing her young,' but I digress), and I was considering placing them with my nursing rat mother, who currently has a litter of 11, but they are weaning/weaned. They're right at 3 weeks x.x Not sure exactly how old these mice are, but they have no hair, so they're younguns.

Any thoughts on the matter? Will there be a danger of disease from mice this tiny? I have heard that rat mothers will take on mice, but I'm not sure.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I am not sure, I have never been in that situation.
I do know that rats are known to kill mice when they see them. I would imagne she would notice they are mice and kill them. :/

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Mice are usually prey to rats. There is a possibility with a very laid back rat mom and the litter being around the same age, but if the ratlets are 3 weeks, then most likely not.

When you say "guess not" does that mean mom rat killed them or ignored them?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for late update.. I said guess not because Sakura (momma rat) totally ignored the meeses. Oh well.

Edit; After looking online a lot, rats can and will raise mice, but I think these mice differed too greatly in age from her own litter. Hers were weaning and the mice were not even a day old.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont want to ask this question.. cause I'm afraid of the answer.. But what happened to the baby mice? Did they pass?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, unable to find a foster mother, they had no chance of making it through the night. Sorry to bear bad news D:

·
Registered
236 Posts
awww.... poor little guys.. Sucks they had no chance for life.. Im glad you tried though. :) :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
In my signature there are pictures of Hector, Zoe and Leo.. Zoe and Leo were little wild mice that we caught and were trying to help.. but they died after 3.. 4 days.. but in those couple days they stole our hearts and we went and got Hector.. and love him so.. thanks to Zoe, Leo & jr the mice.. you are missed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts