Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

So we let hecor play on the bad for now.. till we get him his own play area.. Do you think he will jump off the side of the bed? We watch him very close.. He has gone to the edge sniffed around then wandered away.. So do you think he will jump off?

· Registered
1,317 Posts
It depends on how brave he is! :lol:

Some rats have been known to jump off beds and other surfaces, so I'd recommend always keeping an eye on him during playtime. I made a playpen for my boys out of foam board and binder clips from the dollar store, and they absolutely love it. Plus, I don't have to worry about them getting hurt or in trouble when they are in there. Here's a video explaining how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXNus_6vxGI

I open it up every day during the evening and play with them, and let them roam around the apartment, too, but during the day and all night they have free access to their playpen. NOTE: They are very old rats now (26 months), so I don't have to worry about them jumping out. When they were younger, Stanley could easily jump over those walls, so I only let them in their playpen when I was around to supervise. :)

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Jimmie,
No, I think if he learns from an early age not to go off the side of the bed, then he is safe playing on top of it. Some rats I have heard of love escaping down the side of a bed or couch but other rats have no interest in that and have a self-preservation/cautious attitude about that. It can be different for different rats. In our case, when Klausse and Wolfgang were very young and we had them out for free play on the bed every day, sometimes when they got curious and went sniffing out over the edge of the bed, we would just gently nudge them in a direction back from the edge of the bed. They were probably the type of ratties that got a little apprehensive about going down the side of the bed, and we also supplied the little directional nudges away from the edge that sort of reinforced the idea that going down the side is not good. They never had any inclination to jump or crawl down the side. But, that is just my experience! If you are there during his free time on the bed and you sort of put your hand out by him to direct him away back toward the center if he gets curious out at the edge, he will get the idea that the sides of his play area are off-limits. Hope that makes sense! Of course I have seen other rat parents talk about their rats always trying to get down to the floor, so there ya go! All rats are different. Rats in general prefer staying close to their people, especially when they love their people bunches! :)

One time, when my husband was sitting with Klausse in his office chair and had Klausse on his lap, he slipped off of my husband's lap and plopped down to the carpet under the chair. Not a long fall, and he was fine, but we were amazed that Klausse was momentarily on the floor of our living room and sort of looked around in a circle, then looked up at my husband and waddled over to his feet, looking up at him, like a loyal dog, as if to say, "Um, I fell down...can you pick me back up please?" It was the sweetest thing. So, our boys loved being near us and did not have a desire to run off. But, that is not always the case. Depends on the rat!

· Registered
1,317 Posts
You're welcome! :D It's especially nice for me to be able to go back and look at those videos of them when they were younger. Little troublemakers! hehehe

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Heh heh, I just posted a reply to Breyer's new videos and yes, Talamos, you are right...we all owe a debt of thanks to Breyer for this awesome library of videos. They are not only so nice to watch but I know they help people with ideas for housing, play areas, and even hearing Breyer explain what types of food the boys are eating for dinners and birthdays. Boy Russ and Stan have such gourmet healthy meals, wow! I personally also thank you for these videos Breyer..they will make your boys immortal. They will always be there on film for us to see. That is wonderful. :yes:

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Aww, thanks Vlad. :hugg2: That is the main reason I decided to start filming them and put them online: so that someday, long after they are gone, I can still go back and see them just as they were. :) I'm glad that they help give people ideas about different things to do with/for their rats, too! Of course, if anyone ever has any ideas for any kind of informational videos, I'd be happy to oblige!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are very sweet videos and very sweet ratties <3 Haha they get into so much trouble. I tell mine the reason humans call them rats is because it rhymes with brats ._.

HEHEHE.. little brat rats!!

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I find rats are very content to stay on beds if you stay with them. BUT if you leave them alone too long they get bored, which means they may slide off the bed looking for something interesting to do. Girls are more like this than boys IMO.

so play with him, keep him entertained and he should be just fine on your bed :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.