Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Winter White Broken or Dislocated front leg

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lacrima 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. My winter white hamster is keeping her front left paw tucked up and limping around.. she doesnt seem depressed and didn't stop eating or trying to explore but i'm really worried and i don't know if her leg is broken or dislocated.. and what i need to do in both cases. she still uses it like when she rubs her face but having a little stress in doing that... i've googled about such injuries and learned that if a hamster leg is broken it will most likely heal in 2-3 weeks. but i know that she can still use it a little and i think it's dislocated.. i can't tell if anything is swollen because she is keeping it tucked up under. i've gently rubbed the leg and above and sh doesnt seem to be in pain.. she doesn't make any sound and doesnt seem to bothered by me doing that.. please help me. I can't go to the vet because here we don't have any good ones, especially for small animals... thank you

#2 ·
Oh no! I've never had that happen.

I'm so glad you are investigating for pain though, very important.

Is she running on her wheel at all??

#3 ·
It sounds like her body is in shock. She has to go to a Vet asap to get an x-ray to make sure there is no internal bleeding which could be a possibility if her arm has gone completely numb.

I know you cannot afford it, and there is nothing I can say to help you feel better about her current situation. She desperately needs medical attention, pain medication and an x-ray.

If you honestly cannot afford this, you must give her to someone who can but if you just hope she heals on her own, her arm can heal crooked and cause her pain for the rest of her life.

#4 ·
i dont think her body is in shock because it's been a day and a half already and the effect would wear off by now, she is still very active and when i take her out of the cage she still runs around and tries to climb things.. still i cant see any sign of swelling and she isn't in pain. there's one thing i noticed today though.. the nails are pretty much longer on the injured foot than the others, i don't really know what that means... if any of you can tell me if that may be a cause for her problem and what should i do i'd really appreciate it...
thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.