Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as an update - The guys that beat up my dog were found, beaten, and later arrested and charged. The dogs are doing ok except for some paranoid behaviors that we are slowly getting rid of.

Anyway the place we were looking at, the landlord turned out to not accept pets even though his ad said he did. Lucky for us, the boyfriend's parents are moving back to the mountains and we can temporarily (up to three years but no less than 6 months) stay at their house!

Awesome! The only issue is that their backyard likes to flood in the winter. I mean it isn't so bad that it is a danger to us but is impossible for the dogs to go out and potty during a storm. What did their dogs do? Well most of their dogs are large so water wasn't quite swishing their bits but the little rat terrier went all in the garage. YUUUCK! I'm not into that at all!:pukey: We thought it would be a good idea to just indoor train everyone.

In fact, why not make the office (it is a 2 bedroom with an office) into a dog room! Now here is the catch. The bedrooms and living room (including the office) are all hard wood. It is an old school house so the kitchen is big enough for kitchen stuff only. There is an attached laundry "room" but it hardly fits a washer/dryer as it is.

I thought about buying some kennel/stable mats and putting them in the room and giving them a good brush every day and a good wash every weekend. Heck I'd build a ton of muscle that way! :soldier:

I remember reading about some reusable pee pads with a sticky backing. With a little research, I was able to locate Pish Pads. In short, does anyone think these would make a good floor liner?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Does the front yard flood as well? and all along the street? i would rather take my dog out in the rain than let him go in the house all the time. I would think your dogs would prefer to continue to go outside as well

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Couldn't you just walk them out to the street? Or is there maybe a porch or something? It's not going to be easy to teach all the dogs to go inside. My older dog (12 years) uses pee pads sometimes but none of our other dogs will (which is good because I think they're gross to be honest, ha).

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I suppose. I'm also thinking of just building a large run and sand bagging it around the edges with the rubber mats and a side tarp. Then at least everyone could enjoy the rain and it would keep Spyro from rolling in the largest puddle.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I agree with everyone else - I would try to think of a way to let them go outside rather than trying to make an area for them to go inside. Even if that means that you have to walk them during storms or flooding instead of just letting them out in the yard.

Some dogs do fine learning how to use indoor pottys, but keep in mind that it doesn't work out perfectly for every dog. Some of them it just teaches them that it's okay to go to the bathroom in the house, and they don't really seem to get the concept that they are only suppose to go on the pee pads. I'd imagine it'd be especially hard training dogs who are use to going outside to use them.

I think the pee pads are a bit gross myself, as well. I tried them when my dog was a puppy and never will again. At least when your dog pees outside you don't have to clean it up, and when they poo outside you don't have to worry about the smell filling your house.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Some pish pads and paw pads are good one but not all dogs feel comfortable with it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts