Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive never ever had a cat or kitten with worms after ive wormed them but these two came with an almighty dose of roundworms! I wormed them with panacur and was about to do second dose and my house got flooded..so ive been preoccupied last 2 weks or so..
The kits also had fleas which i used a special spray from vets to clear and am about to do them again.
Today we noticed something tiny and icky looking on zuzus hind leg fur..zuzu didnt seem worried. Then tonight i saw her jump up in my bed and when she got down there were 2 odd things like she had on her..they look like a teeny rice grain sort of yellow sortof see through..im guessing.yuk..thats a tapeworm egg sac? But i always thought they were only ever passed in feces or stuck to the fur around the undertail area..not loose in the fur or falling out on the bed..eww i feel real sick now.
Ive ordered drontal pills..hope they come here by friday..i cannot leave the house.
Im worried cos the kitties are very close to the bunnies..my 2 house buns and they all like sharing a huge water bowl in the lounge..im worried now itll spread to bunnies but im sure tapeworm gets ingested by flea larvae and then grow in the flea..the flea gets eaten by dog cat man etc and then the worm hatches out in their gut..or can it be spread by these scas?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ewww..its tapeworm alright...i had an epileptic seizure in the early hours and just as i was coming out of it zuzu went for a poo in the litter tray upstairs..i cleaned it out on "autopilot" and was horrified to see wiggly tapeworm segments on her po..i nearly had another fit!
I wormed them with PANACUR a month ago and its unusual for a kitten to get tapeworm like this..i am soooo horrified..BUT when i think vack i got them and they had fleas despite the lady treating them with an over the counter remedy..that must have been the start..

an ingested infected flea! I did them with FRONTLINE spray a month ago..and theres no signs of fleas now..touch wood..i have just got a new steam cleaner and they are the safe alternatvive to sprays for flea larvae around the home..so guess what ill be doing all weekend!

i gave her half a drontal pill and she really fought me and screamed..im scared i may have hurt her as shes very subdued and her eyes look odd..is it possible for drontal to give side efects so son or have i injured her?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not sure what to tell you on the tapeworms as I never had any issues with mine with worms. Lucky to start with I guess in that area, but fleas my vet recommended for my very young rescues (4 weeks) to use Capstar. I love it!!! For $4.00 and one pill it works wonderfully and to top it off you can give a second dose if needed in 24 hours without ill effects. Within one hour of giving the capstar the fleas were dropping off dead in my lap when I was holding them. Within 6 hours I couldnt find a live flea on them. I repeated the dose about the time eggs would be hatching out or if I seen even one little flea there and havent had any issues with fleas since. Whats nice since they are indoor 24/7 I havent had to put out the $ for frontline etc anymore. I also have a little device with a plunger type end on it for giving cats pills and it works so much easier then trying to force it down. Open the mouth pop in the device towards the back of the throat hit the plunger and pill is gone. I just wrap them in a towel briefly to avoid injury on their part and mine lol.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
yup grain-of-rice looking "things" appearing anywhere (i always found hard dreid ones) are worms!!!!! wash your hands a TON and get more meds for the cats. i'm not sure what the white things is (egg sac or worm) but i always thought it was a bit of worm that broke off and died (they come out of your butt while you're sleeping/at night). i might be way off, but that's what my folks taught me?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
ewwww...poor kitty!

i think the ones that come out of your butt at night while your asleep are called pin worms. If a person has this they need to get to the doc. They are not serious but need to be treated. Dogs and cats don't get pinworms and can't give pinworms to us.
The cat has tape worm, right? You took her to the vet and that is what he said? Did he prescribe the meds?
Well, i hope the meds you gave her make her all better.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Oh dear you really have had your hands full lately. I have only had one kitty with worms. It was awful he was full of them. The vet gave us pills and they were gone rather quickly. Although my mom and I did have to pull one out of his little butt. It was horribly gross but we couldn't let him walk around with it half in and half out.
Good luck with your little ones.

·
Registered
547 Posts
When my dog had a tapeworm the vet gave him an oral med and it didn't work that great. When I took him to the vet last January it had grown big enough for me to start seeing parts in his feces. My new vet gave him an injection and I never saw another piece of them again.
Plus with the pills it took longer to get rid of it which puts your other animals at risk since your animals are dropping the dried pieces of worm. If one of your other animals or you accidentally ingests those, they could end up with the worm too. I would take your cat to the vet. It shouldn't be that much since they are just kittens. It was less than $50 for my 100lb Golden retriever. Good luck. Tape worms are so gross.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
its always the safest and wisest course to take your pet to the vet for something like that.

How is the kitty doing now...im worried cuz you said you felt she might of been hurt or maybe had an adverse reaction to the medication.
Its not a good idea to guess on a diagnosis and give what may work. A test at the vets can tell you for certain.

If you think you may have hurt her or that she is having a bad reaction please take her to the vet and find out. Im sure you want to do the best for your kitty. Give us an update on her soon. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all for the input..heres an update!
Zuzu was so off colour cos it was very hard to medicate her and i fear i was a bit too rough with her and winded her a bit..plus the pills were frothing up in her mouth and i couldnt get the water squirted down her throat to help..After a nap however she was fine..and very loving as if to say i forgive you.
I have had years practice of worm pilling cats but kittens are a whole different ball game!
the pills i used are called DRONTAL i believe over the pond theyre called drontal plus am i right?
Theres an injectable form so i might look inot that for 6 months time.
I medicated salem and he was fine right away but he didnt put up such a fight as she did and he jadnt long eaten so his mouth was full of saliva still..

She had 3 poos with worms then after the pill it was almost instant.no more live wiggly things!
eww kathy how awful! Poor you poor kitty!

Like i said i had already wormed the kitts a monthago with panacur which does roundworm and most tapeworm EXCEPt the one carried by fleas..And seeing as they had fleas when i had them and couldnt be flea treated till 4 days after getting them it was so obvious it was that type of tapeworm.TYPICAL!! which is rare in kitens and more common in adult hunting cats..
The worms that crawl out from humans butts at night are indeed pinworms and they can even live in the bladder etc..my ex sister in law caught it off a clients kid and she had to take this syrup stuff..but you can get one dose pills from the pharmacist.
Roundworm is the major baddy especially dog ones they can migrate to the back of the eye and cause blindness..the cats carry them too but not as bad as that one apparently.
The flea tapeworm is not possible to get by accidentlaly ingesting the wiggly egg sac..although i always heard it was and in the twenties they swallowed them to stay thin..
mm urban legend?
My dad may he rip said they used to swallow live tapeworms..eww

the life cycle of the flea tapeworm means the tapeworm eggs are eaten by flea larvae..the flea matures and then is host to the tapeworm. The cat or dog or any mammal accidnetally ingests the infected flea and believe you me it takes only one! The tapeworm is then able to break free and attach itself to the lower intestine wall..and feed from the nutrients the animal ingests and passes live wiggly eg sacs in feces or sometimes just fall out..
the weird thing is the animal doesnt look ill and is eating wonderfully..so dont ever presume well my cats fine never hunts if theres fleas on anything itll happen.
The only excpetion was our old cat who passed this feb gone..she had chronic terminal kidney failure and the vet said her body wouldnt cope with the wormer.

read it carefully..

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

and here for treatments

http://www.petremedies.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=136

ooh the flea tablets capstar are sold here in the uk called johnsons 4 fleas..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts