Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went on craigslist to see if I could buy a cheap shopvac and while I was on I saw an ad for an adorable black dumbo boy less than 25 minutes from me! I answered the add right away because they said they were going to try and "give it back to the pet store or release him!"

When I got there they had the poor guy (who is freakin' huge! I'll get a weight on him tomorrow) in this tiny, tiny mouse cage. Also, he is about a year and a half and hasn't seen another rat since birth. They were feeding him the "Kaytee" mix and throwing him "leftovers" occasionally (said the woman)

He's super sweet, but I'm worried about him because his fur is much more coarse and super thin than my boys and it's patchy. It looks like some of it has fallen out. It doesn't look healthy AT ALL. I know that he was suffering from boredom/stress because he tried to chew the crap outta his old cage, where in his new quarantine cage he just chills happily and has already made a little fort out of some paper towel and fluff I gave him.

What could cause this patchy loss of hair look? I have no problem bringing him to my vet if that is necessary and I'll get a weight on him tomorrow (he is by no means underweight, though) It's just not looking good :( Any help would be awesome!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Poor diet, not enough liquids (dehydration), ectoparasites, and filthy conditions can cause these. Check out Shade's thread, and see how terrible she looked at first and how she looks now. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's really sad how they were keeping him! I can tell he really likes it here. Is there anything extra I can add to his diet to help him out?

Would you say I should go to the vet asap or maybe wait a couple days with a diet with extra proteins and vitamins and then see?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
It's really sad how they were keeping him! I can tell he really likes it here. Is there anything extra I can add to his diet to help him out?

Would you say I should go to the vet asap or maybe wait a couple days with a diet with extra proteins and vitamins and then see?
Does he have scabs? is he itching a lot? Any respiratory sounds when you rat phone him?

If no, then feed him well, and watch and wait.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Poor little guy...WHY do people even bother with little critters if they don't care about them? Grrr. I hope you gave those people the stink eye and a kick in the bum. Sorry, calming down. I am SO glad this little guy (or big guy actually) is with you now. I am trying not to imagine what kind of life he had in that small cage with no friends. :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had him in my lap last night and completely checked him out. He has no scabs at all just thin, coarse patchy black hair. I don't hear any sneezing, wheezing, etc. No itching either. The one thing is (and this just might be him trying to figure out what this new place is all about)... He sleeps a lot more than my other rats and although he eyes are clear and alive he's not as "bouncy" and active. I hope he feels alright :/

If after 1 week on a special diet and bath he's not better I am sure going to take him to a my vet. I have a really great exotics vet. Remy's really an amazing rat and it's so sad how he was living before. Just getting him well and happy means everything to me!

I know you have much more experience than me when it comes to rescues, so it's such a blessing to have people like you on this forum. All I want is to give these rats a better life, it's a learning process for both me and the rats. I think he'll be alright, but do you have any diet recommendations for his fur? I'm going to go to the farmers market on Thur. and get him lots of fresh fruits and veggies because I'm down to bananas, strawberries, & peas. I have a great grain/pasta mix, and do add some organic low fat dog food too it but anymore suggestions would be amazing!! I can ALWAYS improve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.