Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys a few quick questions/background info

My 8 month old rabbit gave her third and only living birth 2 weeks ago. The 3 babies are alive and well and adorable!

Since the birth, I've caught the mother sneezing twice. I think her nose might be runny due to her breathing when I pick her up.

Also, I've recently moved her cage back to an open space in my bedroom instead of the closet. I've seen her feed her babies a few times before (it's so cute.) But in her cage now, I see the babies trying to feed on her but she runs away after about 7 seconds. In addition, the babies are beginning to use the water bottle and also nibble on hay.

Let me know what you think. Thanks a bunch!

PS I attached pics of the babies at 2 weeks :)

Attachments

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
:p OMG I WANT THEM!!!! :p

I don't know what to tell you, honestly. There might be someone here who can encourage you about rearing bunnies but it's probably not as easy as it seems (as you are experiencing) I think baby bunnies diets should be restricted to momma's milk too. I guess they're just playing and exploring right now. I strongly discourage breeding- especially in the event of someone who has not conducted appropriate volumes of research. IMO it is irresponsible of you to keep trying to breed mama bunny. I would take her to the vet and see what's causing her to sneeze (if its not just hay) maybe she contracted an illness from pregnancy- again I don't know anything about that... Then please have her spayed. Bunnies who are not spayed are at an 85% higher risk of developing cancer of the female bits. It's an awful and preventative thing for them to die from. What do you plan on doing with the babies btw?

Good luck though, I hope mama bunny keeps teaching them things and feeding. Maybe ask the vet about substitute formulas for babies?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
oh, Maybe supervise her in a cage. Make her stay there so the babies feed for a while then let her have her precious freedom ;) Research how much they should be feeding and for how long. Make sure mama bunny even is lactating appropriate amounts too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks PH :)

I've done a lot of reading and research including reading on this site. I have since had mother and father fixed.

Thanks for the response.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Thanks PH :)

I've done a lot of reading and research including reading on this site. I have since had mother and father fixed.

Thanks for the response.
The mother was spayed so soon after giving birth?

If she keeps sneezing I would call the vet just in case. Does she have any other symptoms? Rabbits go downhill very quickly so it's better to be safe than sorry. I had a rabbit who got a "cold". He received immediate vet care but it still turned into pneumonia :(. It was crazy how quickly he became ill. At least ask the vet if they think you should bring her in :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might anyone know why she runs away when they try to feed on her? Is that normal behavior?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a dog who had two litters of still born puppies and when she had her third litter they were are healthy, but I think she went mentally because she ate them and refused to eat anything else...

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Sometimes, prey animals give up on their young if they feel there is cause to abandon due to their own health and safety. But I cannot imagine why a house bunny might refuse. Like I said above, I have no experience with animals of breeding stock. Sorry.

** Mama animals also sometimes refuse because they simply don't know how to care for young!! It's like when teenagers have a baby and they leave it at their parents for a lot of the time, because their not done having "them-time". So it could be that she is inexperienced and simply don't know how to care for babies, possibly because she was taken from her own mama too young.
**Another thing might be her own health, if mama bunny is sick she might be unwilling to transfer her illness onto the babies. I'd call the vet.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I don't know if bunnies do this, but I know hamsters will abandon/eat their babies if you bether them too much?

You might want to check out this forum too: www.rabbitsonline.net
I know they have a lot of breeders there who might be able to help you more, since no one that I'm aware of on this forum breeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts