Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dogs are like some of ours, that like to take things they know they aren't supposed to have, this might be an alert you may want to read!!!

PET HEALTH ALERT: PRODUCTS SWEETENED WITH XYLITOL CAN BE TOXIC TO DOGS
Sugar-free candy and gum may be sweet enough for you, ASPCA News Alert readers, but they can possibly be toxic to your animal companions. According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), xylitol--a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gum, candies and other products--can potentially cause serious, even life-threatening problems for pets.

Based on data collected from the 40-plus related cases the center has managed since last July, canines who have ingested significant amounts of gum or candy solely or largely containing xylitol may develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion," says Dr. Eric Dunayer, consulting veterinarian for the APCC. "Therefore, it is important that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately."

The APCC advises pet owners to be especially diligent about keeping candy, gum or other foods containing xylitol out of their animals’ reach. For more information on how to protect your pet from potentially dangerous substances, please visit APCC online.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
WOW! Thanks for sharing that Kim.

I am especially careful with what goes on here since I have a dog that can just stretch his head and reach counter tops.

·
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome
2,224 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Kim!

Xylitol is not in candies in Finland, but it is in almost ALL the gums and in some toothpastes.

Something interesting I found on xylitol itself:

Xylitol is generally considered the first fruit of innovation in the Finnish food industry to become a truly world-class product. Although xylitol was discovered as a sweetener in Germany in the 1920s, Finland's Cultor was the first company to patent advanced xylitol production technology. The original patents were filed in 1969, since when numerous further patents, based on work by scientists in Finland and elsewhere, have been added. Cultor, which later joined forces with Denmark's Danisco, remains by far the world's largest producer of dental-friendly xylitol, which is widely used in sugar-free products ranging from chewing gum to cough syrup and toothpaste.

- A Country that Innovates

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Kim, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. Our vet and techs were unaware that this could be a problem and we had a caller's bichon get into some gum tonight. Because I knew about xylitol and knew to check for it in the ingredients, the dog was brought in and treated after contacting APCC. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
122 Posts
OMG my dogs (I did not know) eat a WHOLE thing of chewing gum...But THANK GOD it was NOT suger free! SHOOOO scared me for a minute!I will remember that and not let them get a hold of that! Thanks for sharing that with us!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Man...I thought only Chocolate was a bad candy thing...I am so glad that you posted this. I will be extra careful and I will make sure all other pet owners know about it too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts