Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here used/uses Yesterdays News for rodents,like rats or mice or whatever?

I use aspen currently...but since I have so many rats,the bags I get are no longer lasting.I mean,they last me a week.I do my cages every 2 days and the bags of aspen really don't last anymore.

I know some people use YN for rats and I saw huge bags of it for about $9,while a bag of aspen thats not even half the size is $6.So I am thinking of chaning to that.I still may buy aspen to mix in...but what are your opnions?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, I don't use it with rodents but am now using it for the rabbits and love it! :) It absorbs much better then aspen and is easier to clean. Although with the rabbits I just clean the litterboxes once a day...I'm not sure what your cleaning scedule with the rats is.

By the way, don't bother getting the special "small animal" one. It's the same thing as the un-scented cat litter...only more expensive! Plus, you can can get bigger bags of the cat one.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
I am also thinking on using it, for my rats and my bunny. I think it will be good for both of them and it will be a lot safer for my rabbit as she is on pine shavings. My rats are on aspin and I was planning on getting my rabbit off it very soon. So if I buy the YN I can use it with a bit of aspin so they still have a bedding material and not think it is food (I don't think the rats will even try it as much as my rabbit as they HATE pellets, but my rabbit may be confused and think it to be food. Hope to see more info about it on here so I can make a better judgment also! Thanks Lisa, I needed to be reminded of this and needed more info on it also!!

·
Fluffy Chimphead
1,037 Posts
I know its not the same but i used the yestedays news for my cats and they hated it. we used it becuase tigger had an open cut on her foot and the vet thought it wasbest to use tht so as not to get the dust of the litter in it. if ur rats and rabbits aren't diggers it will work but both the cats we had then love to dig in the litter and they were unable to dig properly since they like to be quiet while we are in bed and the litter was really loud when they dug in it. I say give it a try and see if you like it. Buy a small bag to see rather then getting the big bag and finding out that either you are your animal babies don't like it.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sasami said:
Well, I don't use it with rodents but am now using it for the rabbits and love it! :) It absorbs much better then aspen and is easier to clean. Although with the rabbits I just clean the litterboxes once a day...I'm not sure what your cleaning scedule with the rats is.

By the way, don't bother getting the special "small animal" one. It's the same thing as the un-scented cat litter...only more expensive! Plus, you can can get bigger bags of the cat one.
I clean my cages every 2 days...sometimes every 3 days.

I didn't even know they made it for small animals...but I never pick up the small bags, as they would only do me like a few cages and thats it.I wanna get the large bags they have out for cats.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Vanilla_Rat said:
I clean my cages every 2 days...sometimes every 3 days.

I didn't even know they made it for small animals...but I never pick up the small bags, as they would only do me like a few cages and thats it.I wanna get the large bags they have out for cats.
I've seen ones for rodents, rabbits, and ferrets. But they're all the same thing :lol:.

I totally understand about not getting small bags. The small bag wouldn't last a day in this house!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
would it work for guinea pigs? aspen is so messy and carefresh ect is soooo expensive. that sounds a little more reasonable.

·
Doomed to be Titleless Forever
522 Posts
I use YN for my rat, I *love* it. Even after a week, there's no smell, you'd think the cage had just been cleaned or something lol. I definitely like it more than aspen. I get the big bag of the "cat" litter...I can't even imagine how expensive it would be if I got the "small animal" stuff!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went out tonight and bought a large bag of YN.I do cages tommorrow,so I shall see how I like it.So far,I hear alot of good feedback...so I cannot wait to try it! :D

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Tell me how it turns out Lisa. If it's better than aspen i'll probably change over too. What is yesterday's news anyway? Like "paper"? :confused:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
candyraver said:
Tell me how it turns out Lisa. If it's better than aspen i'll probably change over too. What is yesterday's news anyway? Like "paper"? :confused:
It is actually a cat litter...apparently they make it for rodents now too,but they are in small bags and are more expensive then the large bags of the cat stuff.It is recycled paper pellets.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Ah. :D Gotcha.
Wonder if wal-mart sells it? (wouldnt see why not)...
Let me know how good it is.If you find it better than aspen I'll try it out too after I get the aspen all gone =) .

I love the fact that its recycled too.Always a plus!! ;)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep,Wal Mart does sell it.Thats where I got it.It is in the cat litter section.They have big bags (the one I got) for $6 or the JUMBO bags for $12.I only got the big,just in case I didn't like it.I will definatly let you know what it is like.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm considering switching to that after our aspen is gone too. But that's going to be at least three months, we got a TON while it was on sale about a month ago. Let us know how you like it.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I use it for Gunny (my ferret) and love it

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it already has impressed me...I like how it is not as messy as the aspen.The aspen likes to go EVERYWHERE!YN don't and plus if it does,because it is a pellet...it is really easy to clean up.And unlike the aspen,it don't get stuck to your socks and every other little fiber.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
I also switched and I am liking it so far! I only have it mixed with one cage and the bun bun's litter box as the other cage is not due to be cleaned yet. It is okay, I am still waiting to see how it does!! ^^ Yeah I understand that Lis, but it sticks to my underwear as I sit down on the floor when in the animal room, so VERY annoying to get off you butt!! :crylaugh:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Many people also use Wood Stove Pellets for their cages. I use Aspen shavings for my whole crew - plus timothy hay. With the Rat A Tats it does keep the smell down a lot.

I love Yesterdays News the best for my cat litter boxes.

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
I would have use the cat wood litter BUT it had pine in it...GARHHH...and I heard it was really good for bunnies and rats but I don't use pine or ceder with my ratties...I wanted to try but cant!!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GeishaGirl said:
I would have use the cat wood litter BUT it had pine in it...GARHHH...and I heard it was really good for bunnies and rats but I don't use pine or ceder with my ratties...I wanted to try but cant!!
It is NOT good for rats or any small animal...not the pine pellets,as they contain phenols.I never heard those were good for them at all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts