Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a different flower type head in the new bale of timothy hay I got. I am sure it must be alfalfa mixed in with it. Is this going to be a really bad thing if I keep feeding them this mixture? I don't want to waste it. What if our last bale (which lasted a year) was also mixed with alfalfa?

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Eating alfalfa hay shouldn't hurt them, the only issue is that it has higher levels of calcuim and protien and lower fiber. The high calcuim content can lead to urine sludge, the high protien can cause them to gain more weight. But if the alfalfa is mixed in with timathy and they're getting both, they should be okay.

Are you sure the flower is from alfalfa though? From my experience, if there is any kind of weeds or anything in the field when they harvest the hay, they don't seperate it out. I've gotten bales of hay with some dried up dandelion leaves in it. I've also found some dried up dead grasshoppers in the hay.

What kind of hay are you feeding them?

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We purchased a bale from an acreage nearby. He advertised timothy hay but my husband picked it up when no one was home so he wouldn't have even thought about different kinds of hay being in the barn....he just grabbed two (we were picking up some for another bunny family) and left money for them. I thought when we started feeding Lucky and Molly this new bale they were going through it so fast. Boy they sure like this fresh hay!!!! It's probably because of the alfalfa. I asked my dad to take a look at it today....he grew up farming...and said it was alfalfa in there. They have rounded leaves and purplish flowers. I read somewhere that anything that is good for horses is okay for rabbits to eat. Dad said horses sure loved the mixture of alfalfa and timothy hay.

P.S. It took Lucky 1 year to go through the first bale we had. With two though they should go through it faster. Molly never was on alfalfa since we got her...unless of course the first bale had it as well.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When Lucky had his annual check up the vet told us to cut back on the veggies a bit and feed him more hay first. His weight is not an issue I don't think...he is 4 lbs. and 3 oz. at 3.5 years old and Molly is already 3 lbs and 8 oz. at 7 months.

· can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
yes, I was also told that hay for horses is also good for bunnies because horses require a high quality hay. sometimes I get clover in my hay too. What I really hate is all the hay dust, it gets all over the house, but bunny just loves his hay bales.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with the vet today about the hay and she recommends timothy hay only to avoid any problems. Especially since Molly had already endured so many problems. She said it was the leaves of alfalfa that are the culprit for causing urine sludge and kidney stones. I could remove the flowers and leaves from the hay but the stalks would be harder to pick out. She said they are greener and bigger? I guess I'm back searching for timothy hay.

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Yeah - usually timathy and other grass hays are recommended for healthy adult rabbits. Alfalfa hay is good for young growing rabbits and old rabbits who need help maintaining their weight.

When I got Barnaby, his prevous owners had been feeding him only alfalfa hay along with alfalfa pellets, and he had urine sludge because of it.

I buy Oxbow timathy hay for my guys. I buy them the 9lb bags and it usually lasts the two of them 2-3 months. They have 25 and I believe 50 lb bags as well. It's probably more expensive then what your use to, but it's a good quality. My rabbits love it. For some reason, they refuse to even eat another brand of hay - which is weird because you would think they wouldn't even be able to tell the diffrence. Another option is to go to a local farm, but make sure you get the right kind.

http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

· Registered
134 Posts
My buns are about 4 months should I be giving them alfalfa? I buy timothy at Walmart for them! i am going to get them some today at lunch they just ran out last night! I didn't know that young buns should be eating alfalfa!!

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Molly was on timothy hay at the pet store so since I already had a bale of timothy hay I just kept her on the same. She was eating alfalfa pellets though but am currently switching her over to 1/2 alfalfa and 1/2 timothy pellets. Alfalfa must taste better to them because since I have been removing the alfalfa hay (as much as I can find) from their diet they have slowed down on how much hay they are eating.

Just to let you know: Since we started the new bale of alfalfa/timothy mix by mistake, Molly's urine did change color and had what looked like lots of calcium in it. Because she was ill at the time we had a urine sample analysis and she did have some crystals in her urine. So perhaps it is best to just feed timothy hay after 7 months old.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
I actually feed timothy to all my rabbits of every age. I just buy a small bag of Alfalfa for bunnies under 10 months old, and they get a mix.
Local grass hay can be fine also, at our Shelter we feed Timothy and Local grass hay to the shelter bunnies, they get a real assortment and I think enjoy the change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.