Guinea Pig Psycology - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Guinea Pig Discussion Popcorns, wheeks, and all else piggy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Guinea Pig Psycology

My friend has two Guinea pigs and they do strange things I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

When Guineas are resting why is it that they do this Vibrating thing, are they communicating with eachother ?

And one of the two Guineas Rumbles when you smooth it from the Neck and down its back what is that reaction.

Also why is it some Guineas drink bucket loads of water and others dont ?

Toky-Ohki = ^ _ ^ =

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toky-Ohki
My friend has two Guinea pigs and they do strange things I was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

When Guineas are resting why is it that they do this Vibrating thing, are they communicating with eachother ?

And one of the two Guineas Rumbles when you smooth it from the Neck and down its back what is that reaction.

Also why is it some Guineas drink bucket loads of water and others dont ?

Toky-Ohki = ^ _ ^ =
you mean that "prrrrr" thing? they do this noise when they are happy

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Guinea Psycology

Its not realy a purr though ?, when you leave them together on their own they rumble and vibrate alternately,one of the guineas rumbles when you smooth it.

It has short Redish brown hair and looks a bit ratty If I say so myself the rumbly one

You might be right they may be happy to some extent when left alone on the couch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its probably a happiness sort of purr in that they are content as mine do that or could be if they are sat apart a keep your distance sort of purr i want my space, often hear mine chuckling to each other mainly argueing over a tiny bit of hay lol! As for one guinea pig drinking more its like why does one human drink more than another? Basically it will be down to diet and how many veggies or fruit they eat as if they are basically on dried food all the time they will drink more as makes them thirsty whereas if a lot of veggies in there diet they don't drink as much as getting water from them!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 11:32 AM
I live in a Pigdom

Is your friends guineas males or females? I have females that rumble whenthey are in heat and follow each other. Males so that when they smell a female in heat.

I have a few pigs here that when you hit their "sweet spot" they purr. They like what you just did. Also if they get startled they will purr.

It all depends on what was going on in the environment as to what the pig was trying to communicate.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Guinea psycology

My friends Guineas are Female, There called Pocahontas and hiyawatha or something like that, Its the Dark reddish brown one that rumbles when it is smoothed from its head down.

They both do the vibrating thing ?

* sings *

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 12-21-2004 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

They are just talking to each other. I had three and they were all very vocal.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I live in a Pigdom

You are petting it's hair the wrong way! So she does not like it! Abby's are difficult to pet the right way. When petting you have to go with the "grain" of hair! Whatever way the hair is growing you pet that way. Do not pet against the grain. Pigs are very similar to cats, in the fact that they DO NOT like being pet the wrong way.

I have learned with my abbys rubbing behind the ears, and just making a circular motion on their foreheads makes them plenty happy without having to pet them against the grain.

Adopt a pet today!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Tags
guinea pig