Bats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Other Exotics Post here about any exotics not listed - and topics relevant to all exotics.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Bats?

Does anyone know of any breeders of bats? Specifically Fruit Bats.

Egyptian Fruit Bats (Rousettus Agyptiacussee) seem to be the more common ones kept in captivity due to small size and gentle disposition. I can't find any information as to anyone that have first hand knowledge on these and zoos seem to be arrogant when it comes to requesting information on keeping these animals in captivity.

Any information on the subject of bats in captivity is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Hello Earthling

I don't know anything about bats, but I do notice that you are located in Toronto, Canada. So I'm just guessing they would be illegal to keep, of course you would have to check.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't know any breeders or anyone who has had a bat as a pet.You can google it,but I don't think it is a common thing,especially in Canada.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Curmudgeon

Bats can be very difficult animals to obtain. ...and they should be. Many species are critically endangered and CITES listed, thereby making significant legal hurdles, especially if you are trying to cross international boundaries.

Very, very few people are qualified to own bats, they don't make good "pets".

If you are really that interested in getting them, I'd suggest you get an undergraduate degree in a school that has a program working with bats, or perhaps you could volunteer or work with an organization like the Lubee Foundation. From there, you can find out how to care for and or/obtain them. Of course, working with them in that context might change your feelings about owning them.

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

F&Q - Bats in Canada

Bats Canada - Frequently asked questions

R h a p s o d y -
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 AM
Herp Nerd

Well, it's hard for me to not to sound like a complete hypocrite on this issue, but I have to agree with Bob, for a number of reasons:

Bats are very congregational and social animals, they need to socialize with their own kind. Having just one deprives them of what I believe is something fundamental to their wellbeing, attention from a human keeper is just not the same - and they don't really seem to appreciate human interaction much at all anyway. Having multiple bats just increases the amount of space needed, the amount of care and attention needed to keeping their environment adequate, and the amount of food, which brings me to my second point:

Most North American species of bats eat a wide variety of flying insects. Not easily feasible in captivity. Rehab facilities tend to mash meal worms and mix in vitamins and so forth, but those are generally considered to be temporary solutions until an animal can be released and feed on it's own. Fruit bats on the other hand are not difficult to feed in captivity, but they are exceedingly messy. You have to think, all they eat is fruit pulp... well, it kinda comes out the exact same way it goes in - and they eat a lot. Much more than one would think an animal their size could eat. Not to mention, our store bought fruit is much more rich than a typical fruit bat would be coming across in the wild. I have no real evidence that a higher fiber, higher protein diet would be detrimental in any way, but that's just it - who knows? No one makes Purina Bat Chow. Plus, waxes, pesticides, herbicides, and all the other random things we put no our produce makes one really appreciate the organic markets.

Another thing is that they can't just be caged like a parakeet. They need specialized housing so they do not harm themselves. Their wings are extremely fragile, and if they were housed in almost any kind of cage, could easily be caught between bars and break or tear the fine tissue. They need enough room to fly around, along with enough perching space for each bat in the colony to limit disagreements - which though they are social, happen frequently and noisily.

Lastly, almost every place I'm aware of considers all species of bats a disease hazard (even though this is highly exaggerated). There may be loopholes in the law to allow one to keep them as a pet depending on where you live, but I guarantee you, all it would take is one complaint from anyone, and any pet bat you had would likely be confiscated and put down.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone's interest in bats. They are amazing, fascinating creatures, but I'm with Bob in recommending you volunteer for some place that does bat rehab and education. Get some first hand experience with them, and then see how you feel.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Ravnos and Bob, thank you for shedding some excellent light on this subject. I love animals and I've always had a deep fascination with bats, but my ego isin't big enough to say that I'd be able to keep such an amazing mamal happy and healthy. Perhaps one day I'll have the reasources and experience to do so, for now, I'll stick with reptiles and spineless wonders.

Thanx.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Newborn Pup

fruit bats available for sale

If you are interested in having a fruit bat as your pet do not hesitate to contact me asap
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Newborn Pup

To keep the bats is not illegal but requires some documents that you must have. Contact me if you need a fruit bat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think the best way to keep bats is to buy or build a bat house for your back yard and hopefully they will set up house and you can watch them and see them often but not actually have as pets.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon View Post
To keep the bats is not illegal but requires some documents that you must have. Contact me if you need a fruit bat.
1. legal requirements are quite different in each area...in this case, different country, provincial, and municipal laws apply, and they are quite illegal in this case.

2. Do you really see any point in replying to a post from a half-decade ago?

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Newborn Pup

You have BATS! How much are they? Do you still have them? What kind are they?!
Sorry, I got excited you have bats? Great, I am thinking about getting a few for educational purposes, and I was curious about how much money they are for? (P.s. I am responding to you, Poon)

Tags
meal worms, social animals