Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will want to make sure the vet uses gas to put your chinny under for xrays. It is the safest way to anestitize a chinny.

Make sure you get straight on side xrays to see if the roots of the molars are ok.

If the xrays show any problems, you should discuss with your vet any possible treatment options. My vet suggested that my chinnie's incisors be surgically removed like the do with rabbits sometimes, but he would have to be hand fed every day and that is no way to live.

You should discuss when is the right time to euthanize Gizmo before he is in too much discomfort if there is a problem. The end is not a pretty sight and you will want to spare your Gizmo from the pain as best you can. A good chinnie vet can help you make the right decision. It's not an easy or quick decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it possible that his pawing at his mouth is him wiping away the slobber rather than an attempt to relieve pain? He's still eating perfectly well and I caught him working his teeth on the cage little as well as the water bottle spout. It's killing me that we have to wait another day before we can bring him in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As of today, the slobbering has COMPLETELY stopped. Does this mean anything at all? We're still bringing him in in the morning for x-rays, etc., but is this a good sign or is it indifferent? His appetite is still strong and seems to be back to working his teeth on different things a little.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm just getting to this - apologies for that. The advice given has been great, he does need to have x-rays done. If you need me to email you or your vet the original hi-res copies of the x-rays I have, shoot me a PM. A radiograph is the ONLY way to rule out malocclusion. The surface teeth can be completely normal and the roots a mess.

The drooling having ceased is really an indicator of nothing, unfortunately. He may just be having a good day. Keep encouraging him to eat, and keep the appointment for tomorrow.

Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Jade. He's back from the vet and seemingly doing well. According to my wife (I couldn't go to the appt), what they claim to have discovered is that his teeth are fine with no threat of malocclusion. What they believe was causing the drooling was a blockage of sorts from something he ate that didn't go down right. The vet thought it may have been caught somewhere above his stomach but it has since made its way to his stomach.

She isn't sure what it is, possibly a hairball. She recommended some pineapple juice which has enyzmes that can help break up hairballs. She said to closely watch his food intake and general demeaner because if it's something that he can't process he'll need to be put down to relieve the inevitable pain associated with such blockages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I updated our "Dental Health" section, including "Symptom Progression" and "Environmental Factor," posted more photos as well.

Anyone interested in dental supplementing should check out these products, they have the phosporous required for calcium absorption:

http://shop.petsmart.com/product-123/2534374302030052/2534374302023694/845524441777401.htm
-and-
http://pet-guys.stores.yahoo.net/-091197730080.html

We clip our overgrown incisors too, it's important you get a vet recommendation for procedure and tool to use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i had no idea about this disease. it sounds so painful its awful. chilli's teeth are short so i don't think he has it and i'm glad :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
A woman emailed me about her chinchilla, knowing if I knew of any good chinchilla vets in our area. I told her of the ones I know and have taken my chinchillas too, but it seems to me like her chin has malocclusion... I'm trying to help her out... so what do you think?
Here is her email:
"Hi,

I recently took my 14 year old drooling chichilla to All Creatures Animal hospital in Amherst NY. Dr. Adamcak gave him xrays, put him under, and gave him a tooth check. She said she found no serious tooth problems.

Well, $700 later I still have a drooling chichilla, with no fur on the lower half of his body.
I'm looking for a vet that could give me a second opinion.

Do you know of any other good chin vets in the Buffalo area? I'll travel up to 45 minutes each way, if I need to. He doesn't mind car rides.

Normally I love All Creatures, but instead of spending another $700 there I'd like to see if another vet can figure my drooling bugger out.

-Jessica"

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks so much for all the information on teeth put in here i was able to take it to my vet who was able to use it to help diagnose poor Olivia with her teeth
good luck to everyone with chinnies and teeth issues if we had gotten to Olivia sooner i know we could have helped her but sadly some things are not meant to be

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm not a veterinarian so I won't diagnose, but I will say that I'd get a second opinion. :(

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is the email I recieved from her today. So, still not sure what's causing the drooling... :(
"Hi - I have not been online for a week, sorry.
I have since taken Charlie to Dr. Wade in Lancaster (new vet), she was really nice and used to xrays to really explain the compation of his roots to me. I feel alot better, and understand it better now. She said he also and some bad spurs, and removed them. She didn't even need to sedate him that much!
He's still having trouble eating pellets though, and she said he was losing weight based on his records, so I ground up his pellets with my blender and made a falafal like mash out of them. He went WILD and ate all this really fast! I give him a little bowl of this every night, with the meloxicam she gave me mixed in, which she thinks will reduce his impaction pain.
He's still drooling really bad every now and then, and his fur still clumps, but he's eating alot better... he even tries to eat the whole pellets I give him.
He's still a happy energetic lil guy, running all over. :)
Thanks for your help!"

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The drooling could simply be pain, could be from the sores caused by the spurs, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, is this something that happens in older chins or can it happen at any age?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, i was afraid you'd say that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just made a post and it seems my chinchilla fits these symptoms. My vet seems good, but has not said that Chupie has this. Should I seek another opinion? There doesn't seem to be an experienced vet (that is, with exotics) near me (Wooster, Ohio).

21 - 40 of 66 Posts